End of an Era: No More Repeat Multiple Entry Visas?

preahko

I stayed in Thailand for years this way, and I have many friends who still do: apparently, the recent announcement of a "crackdown" is for real:

Red Warning Stamp for Repeat Multiple Entry Thai Visas in Vientiane

Though, as some of the comments on the ThaiVisa.com post suggest, there's apparently no established limit or guarantee they're going to start refusing people visas...but it sounds rather ominous. I sure wouldn't want one of those red stamps in my passport if I were using multiple entry visas to live in Thailand.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:topic:

The reason I’m posting in this thread is because like many others when I come to live in LOS I was planning to use the Tourist visa runs to stay legal. If they keep enforcing the multiple repeat visa red stamp thing I will need to look at other options.

The visa requirements below are a copy paste from the Thai consular website on the requirements for a retirement visa. I have read this several times and can’t see where the 800K must be in a Thai Bank???? Can the money be kept in a US bank with a letter of guarantee? I am not comfortable putting $25K of my cash in a Thai bank; if I could keep it in a US bank getting an “O†retirement visa should be no problem (52 years young)

Required Documents:- (Required 3 sets: 1 original and 2 copies)

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 18 months

- Visa application form completely filled out (download)

- Addition Application form (download)

- A medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (download)

- Three passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.

- A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

- A letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months)

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence

Thanks, S1

If you apply for an O-A visa in the US the money does not have to be in a Thai bank. An O-A visa will get you a one year permission to stay stamp when you enter and on each subsequent entry until the expiry date of the visa (assuming it is a multi entry). Just before your year is up, you go buy a re-entry permit and leave the country. They will then give a year stamp and each time you leave and return due to the re-entry permit the will give you a permission to stay stamp to that date. In effect you can stay almost 2 years with a multi entry O-A visa.

This is different then getting the one year extension obtained in Thailand of a permission to stay stay stamp (90 days) on a Non-Imm "O" visa which does require the money to be a Thai Bank. You can also get a year extension in Thailand by going to US Consulate and getting a statement notarized where you swear you have a monthly income of over 65k. No proof is required for that statement. Note that there is no medical required for the extension obtained in Thailand.

TH

You are correct. When applying for an "O-A" visa - the money does not have to be in a Thai Bank. However, you can only get this visa in your own country. It will be valid for one year, with multiple re-entries, and you will get permission to stay for one year each time you re-enter. And if you return to Thailand the day before your visa runs out, you will still get permission to stay for a full year, thus effectively giving you 2 full years (though if you leave the country during the 2nd year you will need to get a re-entry permit).

You can extend this visa within Thailand, but you will then need the 800,000 in a Thai bank, unless you have income of 65,000 per month or more (even then you will to show some money in a Thai bank).

I imagine, though, you could probably get another "O-A" visa in the US after 2 years.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You beat me to it, ThaiHome!

Most people I know transfer in the 800k in time for the extension then live off that for the year. 3 months before the extension comes up, they top it up to 800k again. This limits their FX exposure to once a year, limits their usage and cost of their US banks foreign ATM charges and with the 150 baht foreign card ATM charge saves that cost as well. Of course, you are giving up any income you might have made on the 20+ grand for the year, none worry about the safety of the money in the Thai bank and the lost income is not enough to worry about.

TH

My brother lives in Thailand on the retirement visa and a couple of years ago he left for a trip abroad and was stamped back in with another year when he returned as mentioned in a previous post. However he recently did the same thing and when he returned they would only stamp him in untill the date his O-A expired. Just thought I'd mention this as it was very recent and might indicate yet another change in policy?

Simie.

Most people I know transfer in the 800k in time for the extension then live off that for the year. 3 months before the extension comes up, they top it up to 800k again. This limits their FX exposure to once a year, limits their usage and cost of their US banks foreign ATM charges and with the 150 baht foreign card ATM charge saves that cost as well. Of course, you are giving up any income you might have made on the 20+ grand for the year, none worry about the safety of the money in the Thai bank and the lost income is not enough to worry about.

TH

Most USA people I know go to the US Embassy once a year (or actually they come to you in main towns for certain things) and they "swear" they get 65k a month from "somewhere" and they receive some document which covers immigration requirements.

Some people just lodge 800k and never touch it, though the immigration people have been known to get uppity about that.

Archived