Today is National Lawyer's Day in U.S.

dean

The only reason that I'm posting this is because, on a couple of ridiculous U.S. lawsuits being posted here, someone (usually KS) states th obvious; the lawsuit happy nature of Americans. As a nation, we are 5 percent of the world's population and use 25 percent of the oil, which makes us gas hogs. We, also have 70 percent of the lawyers in the world, which explains why when these nut cases want to sue, they are able to find a lawyer to do it. It was also pointed out on the radio that salesmen and lawyers are perceived as the biggest liars and lawyers make the worst drivers, at least in the U.S.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that there are a lot of non-practicing lawyers in the U.S. but I'm sure that in most western democracies, most politicians are also lawyers. Even accounting for the ones that don't practice law, there are way too many lawyers practicing law in the U.S. Just look at any city's Yellow Pages and the number of ads in them for lawyers, many of them one page ads.

The version I heard was "What do you call ten lawyers chained up at the bottom of the ocean?"

Lawyer loathing is neither specific nor original to the USA. Beyond the famous quote from Henry VI Pt II ("The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"), rehashed by the Eagles, there's Plato's Theaetetus ("...but [a lawyer's] soul is small and unrighteous..." etc.) from the beginning of the fourth century BCE.

Yet people queue up to get into banditry law school... Go figure.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived