SCUBA diving in Pattaya

HM,

Well that worked, I can post again.

In any event, Mermaids has an excellent reputation. Very good staff and one of the owners is a PADI regional manager.

I'm going to dig up some info for you if you can hold out for a few hours.

If you read this before I post again, how many days are you planning to dive and on which beach or area are you going to be staying? Diving interests? Tech, wreck, reef, etc.

HM,

This is Mermaid's website: http://www.mermaiddive.com/

I can't remember the UBB code to create a hot link so you'll have to cut and paste.

They are a PADI 5 star and have a very good reputation. Their main emphasis is on wreck and technical diving, but they do recreational well too.

They don't have prices on their site but according to my search the going rate in Pattaya is B1000 for a two tank boat trip, w/ tanks, weights, and lunch included.

I checked the net to see if I recognized anyone else, but no luck.

I found one shop with an all Thai staff (Hmmmm).

This shop seemed to look OK, but I have no info:

http://aquanautsdive.com/

British owned and run.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the links

1000B sounds incorrect for a days diving - last time i was there (june 2001) the going rate was around 2800B for 2 dives - can't believe its gone down that much.

HM,

You appear to be right re pricing.

Its hard to find Pattaya dive shops with a web presence.

The two that I found that are quoting prices, show B1,000 for a 2 tank trip. This could be due to long tails or old boats.

I went to the PADI website and found one other shop quoting B3,000 for a two tank trip.

Unfortunately, I taught diving in Phuket and never made it to Pattaya. I only know of Mermaids due to its owner and its course director, both of whom have very good reputations.

Good luck.

Good Shop.....Steve is the owner, speaks Thai (with Brooklyn style) and reads Thai ....has some booking desks shops

on beach road in Pattaya and his office main shop is just over the hill in Jomtien... You'll depart from the Pier by Walking Street..Don't look for anything world class in Pattaya. Good stuff and very warm but not the Similams...

Go to Mermaids site, e-mail Steve and tell him that

CD-15729 says hello.... That's some PADI stuff that he'll enjoy.

I used Larry's, which has a web sight. They have a branch in BKK as well. AA friend used Neptune, said it was o.k. AAs I recall, a days diving ran around $65usd for boat, and all the equipment. That was last January and May. If you walk around long enough there, you will find a shop you feel comfortable with.

It appears HJ is a Course Director.

Damn, that trumps my MI status.

Hey HJ,

When I left Phuket Steve was still working for the Samuii "mafia" lord and Mermaids was owned by Rick Ray.

My assumption is that Steve left when his boss became a CD and he bought the shop from Rick when Rick went off to work for PADI. Good or bad assumption?

• 3 years later...

I want to try scuba diving in Pattaya. Not sure yet whether to do the Scuba Diver course or the Open Water course. Ideally I would like to enroll for the Scuba Diver course with an option to upgrade to Open Water if I like it. I am considering Aquanauts dive center. Does anybody have recent experience with them?

Archived