Gen. Sonthi agrees to lead Matuphum Party

Mentors

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, ex-army chief and former chairman of the 2006 coup-leaders' Council for National Security, told reporters on Wednesday morning that he had accepted the job of leader of the Matuphum Party.

“I accepted the position because this party has impartial policies which could lead to national reconciliation.

''The country’s main problem now is social division and it needs to be settled rapidly,†said the retired general who staged the Sep 19, 2006 military coup that removed then-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from power.

Asked how he can work with the main opposition Puea Thai Party, as he was the person who brought down the Thaksin government, Gen Sonthi said his political activities will centre on bringing benefit to the country.

“I cannot say which political camps my party will work with in the future," he said. :angel:

Gen Sonthi said people should not to think that he staged a military coup to prepare the way for his entering politics.

He was confident there will be no dissolution of parliament in the near future, because the Democrat-led coalition government is stable.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/160334/gen-sonthi-accepts-to-lead-matuphum

Archived