Upmarket Manila Hotels

kman

I am due to go to the PI in acouple of weeks and as its a business trip I'm likely to booked into one of the following hotels:

Holiday Inn, Philippine Plaza, Midtown or Pan Pacific.

As I believe in mixing business with pleasure does anyone know the guest policies off these places ??

Thanks

No experience with those hotels, but when I was staying in the Mandarin Oriental in Makati City, I had no problems with overnight guests (even two at the same time). But maybe it was part of the excellent service in deluxe hotel, and the less classy ones are going to be pickier...

Wagner

Those are all probably 3 star hotels. Forget Holiday Inn.

Philippine Plaza would be my choice of the ones you listed. Good bar with live music, pretty fair restaurants (there is a cave style in the basement with good steaks. Pretty near to some go-go bars.

No problem with guests. If you get lazy, the bar will have a few strays looking for a guest.

No guest problems at any hotel I know of in Manila.

I should start by saying I havent been to the PI in about 9 years. I think the Manila hotel (Macarthur's old headquarters) and the Nieko were pretty good places. As was the Phillipine Village Hotel. Avoid the Holiday in on Roxas Blvd. It was a dump then, and a friend who just returned, says it is a dump now. However they did have a decent breakfast buffet!

I have just got back from Manila - it was my first visit and would recommend the Mandarin Oriental, good location and traditioanl Mandarin values etc.

As far as night life is concerned go to Chaos on Roxas Blvd, or the bars in the EDSA Complex, the girls are plentiful and cheap too, expext to pay 1000 peso's for the barfine and 1500 - 2000 for an all nighter. DO NOT negotiate a rate with the girl first, tip her in the morning based on how good looking she is and how much fun you have had!

Watch out for the taxi drivers, they are prone NOT to switch on the meter and make sure if you do agree the fare in advance you tell them it will be paid in peso's, if you agrre a sum without telling them that, they will try to screw you for the same in US $'s!!!!!

Have fun!

Taipan

Assuming you aren't limited to the hotels you mentioned and want a 5 star, Shangri-La, Makati.

If you get lazy or late, there's hookers sitting in the lobby until after 2am. Its the only 5 star in town that turns a blind eye to the situation. Also some stunners available in the Disco downstairs.

Respect to the previous poster regarding the Mandarin which I've been in many times. He is right about it being a great hotel with wonderful service, and in my opinion, their fine dining restaurant is my favorite in town. Their small nightclub is mostly upscale locals and you're not likely to find any "evening ladies" there. Also, the lobby is very small and the registration desk is about an arm's length away as you pass to the elevator. No way of being discreet there.

Archived