EGV Gold Class @ Siam Square

xenono

I read about this place in the January 2001 edition of Wired Magazine.

It says is has 28 recliners with tray tables and it also has hostesses that serve up chicken wings and fried squid. All for 300 baht.

My questions is. Has anyone been there? Are the movies shown in English with Thai subtitles? Is there a better place to go or is this place pretty good?

Hi,

Was there several months ago. The seats are *nice*, but unfortunately it is fairly pricey (3 times the price of a normal ticket) and they only have one theater making it difficult to catch the movie you want to see.

Movies are in English, with Thai subtitles.

Is it worth it? Yes, probably once or twice for the novelty. Or if you want to impress someone special.

Sanuk!

PS I think there are few more places where they have them now.

Xenono,

I took several girls there when I was a "tourist". Before the show, you get to sit in a special VIP lounge area. You order your food and drinks and they are delivered to your seat while you are watching the previews. The recliners are almost too comfortable. I actually fell asleep during MI2 in the recliner (I was jet-lagged and had seen the movie anyway). 300B is about what you pay for a movie back home, so go for it and enjoy. They have 2 theatres and usually show the new releases.

That said, now that I live here there's no way in hell I'm paying 300B for a movie!

Ranger

All-

I went there on my last trip to BKK (which was just 13 days ago) and took two TG's that I know... They both work at AIS/Telewiz shop..

They've never been before and really wanted.. Of course on their salary (what a joke it is) they wouldn't pay that price.. So I called it a "three person date" and we went..

Here's the bad part... BOTH of them fell asleep duing the movie... Ready for the kicker??? One was snoring LOUD! Talk about embarassing! Not for her, for ME!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Last july We went to check it out. ( went to see the pearl harbor movie)

had to wait in line a while, and just to find it just sold out.

as a side note, there were some "obvious" Japanese tourists ( you know goofey hats, cameras around the neck, plad shorts) waiting also. when I was on line, they stood away from me?

( I did shower, so thats not it) so go figure, maybe it had something to do with the movie?

I got it on the adjenda ( if time permits) to try it on my last nite in bkk this trip.

UPSer: did you see the nice viet restraunt in the same center while there? We had a really nice meal when we were there. lots of varity, good service. not too expensive ( by western standards anway) ( on the to-do list also if time permits)

Ranger,

Funny you should mention that. When I read 300 baht I immediately went to the currency coverter to get the current exchange rate. As of close Friday, it was 44.83 baht to the dollar. So here I am dividing 300 and 44.83. It turns to be $6.69 US.

So I am thinking to myself. Ok, not bad at all. Seems reasonable. You get a recliner, you get your food. More than fair. Guess that is the newbie thinking in me. Oh well. I want to try it out. The article says the theatre is supposed to cater to Bangkok's nouveau riche.

Oh, BTW. I have another question. Can I exchange for baht at the airport or a place nearby? I am getting in on the 11th at 12:05am and staying at the Grand President.

quote:

Originally posted by Xenono:

My questions is. Has anyone been there? Are the movies shown in English with Thai subtitles? Is there a better place to go or is this place pretty good?

I went there last July to watch Pearl Harbor with BG GF. She was shocked at the price and chastised me for paying it. She loved the movie though ("one girl love two boys").

The seats did recline all the way back, but there was about 30 inches between seats. This made it feel like you were watching the movie alone.

I prefer the standard theatres where the girls cuddle up to you as they are freezing from the A/C.

Has anyone been to the large Imax theatre near Victory Monument?

Shotover

Shotover,

I have been to the IMAX theater at Major Ratcheothin many times. Take a girl to one of the 3D movies, they are always amazed. It's also the biggest movie screen in the world. They are showing regular movies on the giant screen now too, as not too many people went to the 3D movies. I have been 5 or 6 times and the theater was damn near empty for every show. About a 200B cab ride from the Sukhumvit area though.

Ranger

But only about B40 from Morchit BTS - in fact there may even be a free BTS shuttle bus that goes up there now - anyone know?

Although I've been very impressed with the 3D stuff I don't think you get the same quality picture with 'normal' movies as you would elsewhere. Saw 'Cats & Dogs' (which was awful anyway) there the other week and the colours seemed washed out - maybe they need a new bulb in the projector!

LG

Archived