Est.33 at Crystal (3 new Singha beers) & HOBs on Soi Thonglor

coops

Was interested by the post about the 3 new Singha beers... and while up in Chiang Mai saw a mention of a new bar/restaurant called Est.33 which is the Singha owned 'micro brewery' and restaurant.

So, back in Bangkok - went for a visit on Saturday evening.

It's out on the Ram-Intra expressway area, by the 'Crystal' shopping area and housing estate. If you come from Rama IX towards Ram-Intra / Lad Prao take the overpass (or use expressway) and pass by Tesco Loyus and Home-Pro... then you'll see the Crystal place(with TOPS market) on your left, take next U-turn and go in to the Crystal Design center by the SB Furniture entranceway. Pretty close to me, handily enough.

Smart modern setup, not too huge a place, but has more room outside if it takes off.. which it should.

The food is quite good - all the usual beer friendly stuff, and the mixed sausages are better than most places, the salmon salad was also decent.. but most importantly the beer.....

Tried the copper beer first. Very, very nice. It's a good mid way beer between a lager and a british bitter, so takes being well chilled and has a good smooth flavour without being bland.

The Est.33 lager was also excellent - smoother than the standard bottled Singha (fyi I find Heineken an insult to the term 'beer', and preferred the Singha when it was more hoppy in years gone by- but it's still pretty decent). Very refreshing...

Didn't try the black - but both the copper and the lager are slightly cloudy.. seems they may well be un-pasteurised, certainly taste good.

I'd highly recommend seeking out these new Singha beers, even if you can't get out to this place.... matter of fact, as well as decent food the background music was both pretty good AND (shockingly) at just the right volume... oh, the 0.3l is 120 baht, 05l for 160bht.

Next :-

HOBs - House of Beers....

http://www.hobsbkk.com/

which is a lot more central, on Soi Thonglor.... pretty much opposite J avenue shopping area around soi 15, i think. It's in the 'Penny's Balcony' setup across the street from the Au bon Pain....

Food is more pedestrian than Est.33 but does have the good old pork knuckle... beer is what you'be here for anyway.. and it's main thing is Belgian beers... there is no Heineken... or singha for that matter, i think (not definite on that!).

The guy running it is the son of the main importer for all the Belgian beer's you can get hold of in thailand... so prices are not too marked up.

They have hoegaarden on tap (and bottle) and also Leffe - both the lager and Leffe Brown... next time i'll try the Leffe Brown, heard it's pretty good... but so far only had some of the Chimays (they've got the usual blue/red/white) and also Orval, which went down well.

Other beers...Duval, and 'Waterloo' which i've never heard of... oh, Kwak, also which is served in its usual comedy glass and wooden holder thingy.

Can't remember the prices here....

Both good places - i'll be back for more... and the new Singha stuff is damn fine.

Coops

Archived