Traffic Jam to End all Traffic Jams

Gadfly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone wrote in to the Nations or Post and stated that the police should leave the traffic lights in the automatic mode and set the timers for 30 sec to 45 sec and that would get the traffic moving. Sitting at a red light for several minutes does nothing but create the HUGE traffic jams :dunno:

I think it was a letter to the Post and the author referred to the extended green (with accompanying extended red) as “convoy†system.

I spend a lot of time in Bangkok traffic and have had lots of time to contemplate this very question. I have come to the conclusion that the “convoy†system the traffic police have implemented is probably the most efficient way to get the most cars through an intersection in a specific amount of time.

I think the theory is based on reducing the number of times needed to get the line of cars moving. Once the light turns green, a lot of time is wasted getting moving and if you turn the light red quickly, say in 45 seconds, then the cars that did not make it through have to stop and then get moving again. If you leave green longer, say 90 seconds, then more cars will get through in one 90 second cycle then two 45 second cycles.

It is extremely frustrating because you end of sitting in one place for longer rather then moving up several times as the light cycles.

TH

I was stuck in a Taxi moving VERY slowly from Ruam Rudee on Ploenchit trying to get to the Polo Club in Wireless Road, by the time we reached the corner of Ploenchit and Wireless Road we were not moving at all for nearly 15 minutes - at around 6.45 - I gave up, paid the Taxi and walked to the Plaza Athene Hotel to wait it out at the Buffet.

On the way I talked to a very pleasant Thai Police Captain manning the booth at the corner - he told me there was a bus stalled on the Sathorn Bridge - over the river - and that was the cause of the horrendous traffic jam.

I left the Hotel around 8.30 and traffic was fine - well, as fine as it ever gets in Bangkok but certainly the major jam had cleared.

Paul

PRO-THAKSIN PROTEST

Bangkok bank's headquarters suspend service

By The Nation

Bangkok Bank's headquarters on Silom Road suspended services at noon for safety reasons on Friday after red shirted protesters started their rally in front of the building.

Police halted traffic near the bank's headquarters at about 10.40am as about 300 protesters started a noisy rally and their leaders took to the stage to criticise Privy Councillor Gen Prem Tinsulanond and his alleged connections with the bank's executives.

Security around the bank was tightened before the rally, with some 800 soldiers and police deployed. Barricades were put up in the morning. Before services were suspended, customers were asked to enter the bank by a side gate.

Security guards screened customers to make sure that they really were clients.

The bank's automatic machines were also suspended.

the reason of traffic jams are simply too many cars in any given intersection.

'efficient red light periods/intervals' can only aid to to reduce the jams not avoid them. and clearly the most efficient intervals is simply the longest ones applied for the directions with most cars (traffic). simple mathematics/practicalities about 'traffic flows' & time 'wasted' when switching from red/green...

so the less experienced/knowledgeable folks may compare to 'other cities' with extremely short intervals which is efficient enough when traffic is less, but when it gets to levels where junctions 'simply overflow in a sub jam' well clearly intervals are 'off' or the next junction ahead is 'out of synch'...;)

anyway go online with your gadgets & avoid the hotspots or even avoid the in street signboard red spots... :rolleyes:

When I driving up Rama 4, I see the lights set opposite how I would have them set. There are piles of cars on Rama 4 but they have the red light set for a longer time, say 120 seconds red/30 sec green, but the cross streets are empty and they are getting the longer green light...WTF??? easy to do the math and see why Rama 4 is clogged!

Archived