Thai Mobile Phone works in Europe, yes??

gawguy

I think it is..

I have a cheap Nokia 1200 bought in LOS. Going to Europe and England in May. My RailEurope Tickets were mailed to me in USA and included offer for "Free International SIM Card." Note said, "Many US cell phones don't work overseas." However, my phone is Thai. That means it is GSM 900/1800 same as Europe, yes?

Do you think I will encounter any issues using this phone w the SIM card they send me? I plan to use it mainly for calls within Europe and use Skype for calls and text msgs to g/f in USA.

How do I top up minutes? Or do I purchase more online?

GG

A friend of mine bought a cheap Nokia in Thailand and it works fine here (Sweden). As far as I know mobile units in Thailand aren't sim locked anymore. This applies to Sweden but should be the same in most western European countries and probably most eastern countries as well.

As for topping up your sim card it would depend on the operator but many tobacconists and super markets can do it. I think 7/11 can do it as well and it can probably be done online (I do it). Again this is Sweden but I doubt if it's any different in other countries.

regards

ALHOLK

I think it is..

I have a cheap Nokia 1200 bought in LOS. Going to Europe and England in May. My RailEurope Tickets were mailed to me in USA and included offer for "Free International SIM Card." Note said, "Many US cell phones don't work overseas." However, my phone is Thai. That means it is GSM 900/1800 same as Europe, yes?

Do you think I will encounter any issues using this phone w the SIM card they send me? I plan to use it mainly for calls within Europe and use Skype for calls and text msgs to g/f in USA.

GG

Depends where you go, Europe is not a country, neither is England, although some might think so.

So, unless you stay only in the UK, buy a SIM-card there and top up there.

If you travel around, you might need to buy one in each country.....

BB

I think it is..

I have a cheap Nokia 1200 bought in LOS. Going to Europe and England in May. My RailEurope Tickets were mailed to me in USA and included offer for "Free International SIM Card." Note said' date=' "Many US cell phones don't work overseas." However, my phone is Thai. That means it is GSM 900/1800 same as Europe, yes?

GG[/quote']

Depends where you go, Europe is not a country, neither is England, although some might think so.

So, unless you stay only in the UK, buy a SIM-card there and top up there.

If you travel around, you might need to buy one in each country.....

BB

I am not sure, but I think in Germany you'll need a German passport to be able to buy a Sim-card.

By the way using a European mobile phone for to call another European country is max. 50 cent per minute. Within a country it's much cheaper: in Germany a minute costs between 8-29 cent, depending on the SIM-card provider and the contract.

Nothing to do with phones but Great Britain consists of England, Wales and Scotland. The U.K. is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Simie.

Do we have to buy a different SIM-cards for England, Wales and Scotland?

:content:

PS: I don't know about the habit in other countries, but in Germany we usually use the term England when we speak of the UK.

Archived