Cost of Living in Issaan

ABCinBK

In the old nanaplaza.com forum, there was quite a bit of informational posts on costs of living in Issaan by foreigners.

If anyone has ideas of those costs first-hand, or knows of websites documenting this info., please let me know.

I'm not looking at living there anytime soon, but would like to know the information again. I'm not so much interested in costs for local Thais, but for costs to maintain a low-key but definitely "farang" lifestyle....i.e. costs for a house with aircon, telephone line (not just a cellphone), internet access (high speed if available), and satellite cable, plus beer money/better food/etc.

A while back there was a terrific set of posts on this by someone living in Surin, but it got lost with all the old delphi forum info.

ABC

Hi ABC,

Would be good to note which part of Issan - which town. WOuldn't the city areas (e.g. Khorat) cost more and have those full facilities like cell phone coverage and net access, banking etc.

Cheers.

Sing,

I am interested in most areas of Issaan, though what I had in mind was more "out of the city" areas. I'd be interested in costs in the country areas outside of Ubon city and even inside.

Although it's all the same to me in many ways whether it's Ubon or Udon or Surin, as I'm trying to get an idea of costs across the board.

ABC

I live in Chumpon, should not be very different from Issaan.

My monthly budget is 30.000 baht, spent as folows:

rent 5.000 (that's expensive, I rent huge house, 2 bedroom house can be had for around 3.500)

electricity & water (1 airco in bedroom) 1.000

food (thai restaurant 2xday x2 persons) 15.000 or 500/day

miscellaneaous 9.000, that's for all other stuff

The 1.500 extra I spend on the house is meaningless.

no landline, I internet for 30 baht/hour close to home.

Furniture for the house (for 3 of the 6 bedrooms) 120.000, this includes 1 aircon, TV, music, second hand motorbike (10.000), linnen, curtains etc, no fridge nor kitchen nor washing machine

From Chumpon:

My gf is from Udon province and she says life is cheaper in Issaan as compared to Chumpon, referring to housing and food. One kai yaang (grilled chicken) is 20 baht more expensive here. I seriousely doubt that would make a significant difference in my budget.

I don't think cost of living to be fundamentally different once outside Bangkok, where extremes are more common.

I think as far as country life is concerned "lifestyle" would be the biggest differenciator (partying, car...)

thalenoi,

jaybet 3 here again. Thanks for your PM earlier this year. You have me intrigued w/Chumpon.

How does sanuk factor into your budget? I see that you include 2 person for food. Does that mean you have a TG already? Do your miscellaneous costs cover TG expenses?

Don't want to get too personal. Just curious about this one important factor.

thanks

Archived