Govt 'must talk to Thaksin'

Mentors

Thailand could move closer to resolving the current political impasse if former premier Thaksin Shinawatra was involved in direct negotiations with the government, a leading peace advocate says.

High-level talks could directly involve Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, said Wanchai Watanasap, former director of the Office for Peace and Governance at the King Prajadhipok's Institute.

The red shirts' act of pouring human blood as a political protest yesterday could imply more violent actions lie in store if the government does not heed the movement's calls, he warned.

While yesterday's protest was peaceful, frustration could cause the leaders to escalate their actions which may result in violence.

"Any problems [of potential violence] will not rest with the [red shirt] leaders, because they can escape. The problems will be faced by the people who join the demonstration," Mr Wanchai said.

"If an unexpected incident happens, who will take responsibility?"

The government and red shirt leaders must start negotiating to bring an end to the turmoil, he said.

If the red shirts want a dissolution of the House, their representatives must discuss the matter in detail with the government.

They should also discuss whether calling an election would end the conflict and what the best resolution for the country as a whole would be.

Thaksin and Mr Abhisit could be key negotiators, he said.

Mr Wanchai said he did not know of any other country where human blood had been used in such a way at a protest.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/34538/govt-must-talk-to-thaksin

Dear God,

Now this makes me Nervous ...

I can understand that you support the downtrodden in Thai society and that you want them to get a chance at a better life. That you would like to see things change. I support that as well. And I think most do.

But to say you support someone like the person Thaksin? Come on ... the guy is a certified lunatic he has proven that. Just watch him when he speaks. All he can do is think of himself. Do you really believe the country will be better of with him in power?

W

I wouldn't move away from demanding a mia noi instead of Podgeman.

I knew a guy in the PI who did a little time there and he took his girlfriend along AND a personal bodyguard.

Money certainly makes a difference in Philippine jails, beds and cells were optional extras .

Chalerm's kid who shot the police sergeant major reportedly had conjugal visits (from hookers?) in his prison cell. His meals were all catered, and allegedly he even got psses to go out on the town once in a while. But hey ... his daddy may be the next prime minister. Got to treat him nicely. :)

That's the kid who was dishonorably discharged from the army for desertion - a non-pardonable offence. But PM Samak pardoned him anyway and restored him to active duty. (The guy never had a commission in the first place ... he was an "acting LT". WTF is that?)

I agree 'square head' should come to Bangkok for talks. :rotl:

...then AFTER he leaves LOS' date=' they can issue the arrest warrant (like last time)! :surprised: [/quote']

As long as the farking criminals that took over the airport remain free (who are still in LOS) T-Man should remain free!!! If you are going to bring one to justice (T-Man) bring them all to justice!!

S1

Archived