Govt: Thaksin's harder to catch now

Mentors

Tracking down convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will be more difficult since he can travel to many European countries after he has been granted citizenship by Montenegro, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya's assistant Panit Vikitset said on Thursday.

Mr Panit said the ousted premier has been granted citizenship by Montenegro, making it harder for Thai authorities to bring him back to Thailand to serve his jail term after the Supreme Court found him guilty in the Ratchadaphisek land deal case two years ago.

"By being a Montenegro citizen, Thaksin can carry a Schengen visa which allows him to travel to 30 European countries under the Treaty of Amsterdam," he said.

A total of 30 countries, comprising European Union (EU) states and three non-EU members - Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland - have signed the Schengen agreement.

He said the foreign ministry had asked the governments of many countries, especially members of the EU, to help detain Thaksin temporarily, [color:red]but they have different regulations on the list of people who are not allowed to enter their countries.[/color]

"Thaksin's Montenegro citizenship will not change the verdict of the Ratchada land procurement case since he is still a Thai citizen.

"However the case would be affected if his Thai citizenship is withdrawn," he said.

Mr Panit said the Montenegro government has the right to grant its citizenship to anyone. The Thai government would not ask Montenegro about the decision to grant Thaksin its citizenship.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/172000/govt-thaksin-harder-to-catch-now

there is a flat free at the moment beside mine in my home country. :hmmm:

Maybe he bought Montenegro. It's not very big. :hmmm:

Seriously, the gummint obviously has never really tried to catch the T-man. Can you imagine if they brought him back and threw him into the slammer? It would open a can of worms bigger than Malta!

<< there is a flat fee at the moment beside mine in my home country. >>

How much do you charge?

I agree, don't think they want him back at all, ever. I do think they want him to shut up and go away though, for ever.

Now I don't know about this multiple citizenship thing. How many does he hold now? Why not just withdraw his Thai citizenship? Seems he's not really doing much to warrant holding it these days, and has a few others in the bag anyway.

That rule was repelled I thought in 98 or 99? The government wanted to bring back expat Thai's. One was my old engineer who finally was "allowed" dual citizenship.

Both Australia and Thailand allowed both about the same time.

Australia was never strict about inforcing the rule, no idea about Thailand except the Engineer and his wife/2 sons all reapplied for Thai citizenship and got it. Thailand knowing fully they also had Aussie passports.

Maybe he bought Montenegro. It's not very big. :hmmm:

Seriously, the gummint obviously has never really tried to catch the T-man. << there is a flat fee at the moment beside mine in my home country. >>

How much do you charge?

he must show me his pocket first :cool:

That rule was repelled I thought in 98 or 99? The government wanted to bring back expat Thai's. One was my old engineer who finally was "allowed" dual citizenship.

Both Australia and Thailand allowed both about the same time.

Australia was never strict about inforcing the rule, no idea about Thailand except the Engineer and his wife/2 sons all reapplied for Thai citizenship and got it. Thailand knowing fully they also had Aussie passports.

It was never repealed that I know of. This being Thailand, it is just ignored. I know several university archans whose children were born when they were graduate students in the States. The archans registered their kids as US citizens so they could later send them to American university and not have to pay the foreign students' fees.

The US finally decided to allow dual citizenship a couple of decades ago. I know a number of dual citizen US-Thais. I don't think you can give up a UK nationality, if you want to. If you are born a Brit, you stay one.

Archived