TOT Home v TRUE Hi-Speed

Mekong

Having used True & True Hi-Speed as ISP of choice whilst living in the city now I am out here the only "landline" ISP I can get is TOT Home, it was either that or using my cell as a modem via EDGE, whilst it works as a stopgap not reccomended as primary access.

As per any ISP a choice of (alledged) speeds on a sliding charge scale so I opted for the 8Mbps package which plus or minus a few baht is priced the same as the equivalent TRUE Hi-Speed Package.

I have been connected for ten days now and have not sufferred a single disconnect, consistant download speeds of >6.9 Mbps and a faster download of torrents (500kBs+ with TOT compared to 300 with TRUE).

Only compalaint, which is something targeted at all Thai ISP's, is the rediculously slow upload time, if I had a lot of large outgoing files sent from home it would drive me nuts, fortunately most of my outgoing traffic is conducted when I am out of kingdom.

Bottom Line, so far not a bad ISP, I was half expecting 2 soda cans a lenght of wet string as a connection when I first moved out here so presently surprised.

I've been using TRUE for the last 3 years now and to be honest the service is not that bad, i get disconnects a couple of times a week sure, but they only last 60-90 seconds. My download speed is around 11Mbit on a 12 Mbit line so that's not too bad either. i could use a bit more upload speed though, 1Mbit up is just not enough these days

eldar,

I can assure you that the disconnects are due to your telephone line rather than your ISP, when I used TRUE I never had a problem with it.

Its more a post about how pleasently surprised I am with TOT Home as an ISP, I used TOT for a couple of weeks about 13 years ago and muttered to myself the immortal phrase "Never Again", but now they appear to have their ship in order.

One of my concerns about moving out of the city was "How Good is the Internet", and I am pleased to report "Better Than Expected"

I was of same opinion of TOT based on previous experiences, hence the reason for this post singing its praises.

Even configuring the wireless router quite simple, at the last count it was one Desktop LAN, one Laptop LAN, one Desktop WAN, one laptop WAN, 2 netbooks WAN, 3 iPhones WAN and the Wii WAN bandwidth sharing managed via the router (The wifes connection is slow :wink: )

Funny I was chatting with KS a couple of weeks ago about "Thailand Internet Circa 1998" and how LOXINFO were 1,000 THB / Ten Hours at an alledged 56Kbps but more like 26.2Kbps if lucky, all emails were composed OFFLINE and anything more than an incoming 256Kb attatchment was rejected. The Bad Old Days!

Yeah those were the days! buying those damn prepaid cards at 300 baht per 5 hours. Having to try to find a number that was not busy or down and then hoping to dear god that you did not disconnect within 2 mins. mind you this was 2000-2001 i can't imagine 1998. Coming back to thailand after being in holland was like going back into the stone age, i had a 1.5Mbit cable connection in holland since 98 so dropping down to 56k was a shock.

• 5 weeks later...

Around 1998 my university gave all archans free unlimited hours. Just call to connect and away you went ... NOT! :( It was hard as hell to connect and you'd often get booted off and couldn't reconnect. I was convinced that the rector's and deans' kids must be tying up the archans-only phone numbers. Then they redesigned the system and everything worked. Problem was they allowed everyone a maximum of 20 hours a month ... 5 hours a week? :doah: Thus those ridiculously over priced 10 hour packets seemed good at the time. :p

Archived