Moscow metro station blasts kill at least 34

Mentors

Two explosions ripped through the busy Moscow metro on Monday morning during rush hour killing at least 34 people and wounding dozens more.

Though it has yet to be confirmed, security sources said early indications suggested suspected suicide bombers from the volatile North Caucasus region that includes Chechnya were to blame.

If that is right, it would be the first time since 2004 that they have struck the Moscow metro. Prosecutors opened a criminal case immediately, saying they would be working on the basis that the explosions were the work of terrorists.

Veronika Smolskaya, Moscow Emergency Ministry spokeswoman, said 22 people were killed in the first blast, at the Lubyanka station in central Moscow.

The station is underneath the building that houses the main offices of the Federal Security Service, the KGB's main successor agency.

An explosion apparently tore through one of the carriages as the train was coming into the station killing commuters onboard as well as people standing on the platform. Up to 17 people were reported wounded.

A second explosion at the busy Park Kultyry metro station located close to Moscow’s famous Gorky Park followed soon afterwards. Smolskaya said at least 12 were dead there.

Islamist rebels seeking to establish an Islamic caliphate on Russia’s southern tip have largely confined their attacks to the North Caucasus area they want to control in recent years.

But a bombing of a passenger train between Moscow and St. Petersburg last November that left dozens dead suggested they may be preparing to widen their campaign to Russia’s big cities.

Russian security forces claim to have killed a number of high profile militants in recent months including one of the movement’s principal ideologues and strategists. Russian politicians said at the time that the rebels were likely to strike back to show they are still a force with which to be reckoned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/7533704/Moscow-metro-station-blasts-kill-at-least-34.html

The problem with islam is that there are a lot of fanatics. Maybe not in Thailand where Muslims are a small minority but I read in a poll that 65% of Syrians think terrorism is justified in some circumstances. It seems that as Muslims increase as a percentage of the population there demands grow. I have read the Koran and discussed the religion with Muslims on the BBC Islam forum. The root of the problem is that the Koran clearly supports suicidal attacks when fighting against unbelievers. Only one vague line, which was written earlier, before Mohammad had total control of Arabia says "do not destroy yourselves". And earlier verses of their holy gobbledy-book carry less weight to Islamic scholars than the later more violent ones.

I appreciate there is also a problem with violent Christian fanatics in the US but two wrongs don't make a right. I used to wonder why, with a secular school system, so many Americans are deeply religious. Then it dawned on me that religion is a disease of the mind, inherited like bad genes.

Archived