5 reportedly killed so far

limbo

OK I thought you were referring to the Bobby Thompson home run against the Dodgers in 1951 that sent the NY Giants to the World Series. I thought, what's this old coot on about with the baseball analogies.

I thought it was Gene Sarazen's 235 yard 4 wood into the 15th green at the 1935 Masters Tournament for an albatross . :surprised:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is exactly what I ment about the "Shot heard round the world"

FYI' date=' in military circles "A shot heard round the world" or "a gulf of Tonkin" is synonymous with something starting up. [/quote']

OK I thought you were referring to the Bobby Thompson home run against the Dodgers in 1951 that sent the NY Giants to the World Series. I thought, what's this old coot on about with the baseball analogies. ;)

Seriously, when I think of Tonkin, I think of a bogus unverifiable excuse to start a war -- that's one that was always suspect to some, and it turned out that it was bogus, released records later showed.

Either way. Yes it seems as if this was in the making all this time. I mean, the protestors have guns, real bullets, bombs and grenades -- it means they've been arming themselves (some at least) for some time now, preparing for just this.

Another direction to point the finger: the army and police -- their shameful performance encouraged this. Had they shown any reasonable amount of authority in previous days rather than let themselves be made to look like fools, the protestors probably wouldn't have felt so bold as to actually attack the army compound or throw bombs at troops.

In a real country, the top general would be sacked for this, removed in shame.

I find it hard to believe anyone looking from the outside, or in couldn't see it coming to violence...though I thought it would have been a lot worse, hope to Bhudda I am wrong.

Archived