Steven Seagal sued for allegedly keeping sex slaves

As a Martial artist/Akido practitioner, I will give him his props, he is good, and in that realm, the real deal.

The 'real deal' is usually accompanied by a degree of humility, esp when the practitioner reaches a certain age - Seagal is pushing 60. For all the BS that goes on in those circles, most of the older martial artists seem to be able to keep their bravado to themselves - even boxers tend to drop the trash talk over time. Whatever technical ability Seagal might possess, it doesnt seem to have been accompanied by any sort of personal growth if the interviews I have read with him are any indication. It's particulatly ironic when you read the philosophical and religious foundations of that martial art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

I'm not saying that he is guilty of anything - that is for the law to decide - but as an ambassador for a martial art, he comes across as a hedonistic egomaniac. Even Chuck Norris has done more for the image of martial arts in the US. A lot of the kids have moved to Muay Thai and the UFC-MMA full contact styles, but the more traditional martial arts like Aikido were supposed to allow people to keep practising well into their 70s - give it a few more years and Seagal will be able to play the sage old master in a Karate Kid remake. Wax on, wax off, Steve ..... :smirk:

As a Martial artist/Akido practitioner' date=' I will give him his props, he is good, and in that realm, the real deal. [/quote']

The 'real deal' is usually accompanied by a degree of humility, esp when the practitioner reaches a certain age - Seagal is pushing 60. For all the BS that goes on in those circles, most of the older martial artists seem to be able to keep their bravado to themselves - even boxers tend to drop the trash talk over time. Whatever technical ability Seagal might possess, it doesnt seem to have been accompanied by any sort of personal growth if the interviews I have read with him are any indication. It's particulatly ironic when you read the philosophical and religious foundations of that martial art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

I'm not saying that he is guilty of anything - that is for the law to decide - but as an ambassador for a martial art, he comes across as a hedonistic egomaniac. Even Chuck Norris has done more for the image of martial arts in the US. A lot of the kids have moved to Muay Thai and the UFC-MMA full contact styles, but the more traditional martial arts like Aikido were supposed to allow people to keep practising well into their 70s - give it a few more years and Seagal will be able to play the sage old master in a Karate Kid remake. Wax on, wax off, Steve ..... :smirk:

Chuck Norris is cool, a born again christian I believe, but cool none the less. He is also the real deal martial arts wise. For Seagal, all I am saying martial arts wise is that he, like Norris, and a few others actually have the skills, and it is not Hollywood crap actors pretending to have skills. Seagal is a dickhead to say the least. Watch that cop show of his and you can see it.

Akido, is a great martial art, maybe one of the best over all. Also one of the most difficult to learn. There is definitely a lot of difference between most Asian masters, and their American counterparts ego/attitude wise.

Last night I was chatting with the ex (who works at LAX) about celebs and what good value they can be to an airline, not only in terms of media publicity, but also word of mouth to their high yield passenger friends.

I thought of your Madrid story and asked her if she ever heard of Seagal. She said he's flown with SQ many times, but she won't talk to him. When I asked why, she simply said, "because he's an asshole." She then explained how a normally timid Japanese co-worker once asked him for an autograph in an elevator. He didn't even acknowledge her - just stared at the floor numbers on the wall with a stone face. "Ever since then, I won't talk to the guy."

She got a kick out of your story about him getting knocked back by a Thai girl at Madrid. Who knows? Maybe your friend did some serious damage to his ego that he hasn't yet recovered from. :hmmm::)

Archived