Opening a savings a/c - omsap

Hi all,

I want to open a normal savings account (omsap) in a Thai bank. (preferably SCB, BKK etc).

Was told I could. Then was told I could not.

Reason(s): I am not a resident - permanent resident, working, studying in Thailand.

Could a tourist open a bank account? Please help.

Just want to open a baht account?

Should be no problem. If one bank says no, just go to another branch. Shouldn't have to hit that many branches before one will do it for you.

The TFB on Sukhumvit near Soi 33 is notorious for being farang friendly.

<<burp>>

The rules for that have changed a few times over the last years...but as for now, you can open a bank account -- should be no problem.

I opened an account at Bangkok Bank last year, the Bankapi Branch (Asok BTS Station). Got an ATM card on the spot. No questions asked and only a tourist visa.

Make sure to take your passport with you and you should have an account in no time.

Straycat

Yes, you can. I've done so twice.

In one case, in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa, I tried to open a passbook account at one bank up country (near Petchibun). It was to be a joint account with my Thai "girlfrined" , and the manager said I couldn't because I didn't have an address in Thailand. so I walked down the street to the Thai Farmer's Bank where their understanding of the rules was more to my liking. I had to let them copy the ID page of my passport for identification. It only took a few minutes. About six weeks later, the "girlfriend" took off for Italy to be with her hushand (sorry about the digression).

In the second case, I was again in on a 30 day visa, and I was able to get a passbook and ATM card from Krung Thai Bank, using a friend's address in Nong Khai. They also copied the ID page from my passport. The account was opened in minutes and in a couple of weeks, I picked up my ATM card. I recommend Krung Thai Bank (at least the Nong Khai Branch).

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again (just make sure you vary your approach a little so you get different results).

RickF

Archived