Melbourne Storm go from hero to zero

gobbledonk

For the few Aussies who might not be aware of this bombshell, the Wikipedia article on the Storm gives a very good summary:

A massive salary cap breach was revealed on April 22, 2010 amounting to $1.7 million over 5 years. The Storm were stripped of their 2 premierships and 3 minor premierships over the previous 5 years as result and were reduced to zero points for the entire 2010 season. The Storm were also fined $500,000 and forced to return all prizemoney won in the previous 5 years to the NRL to be redistributed between the other NRL clubs

This is a very big deal here - restrospectively stripping a club of premierships goes well beyond the usual fine and a slap on the wrist. I'm sure the Storm arent the only club to have rorted the salary cap, and I have to wonder whether they would have taken the same action if it was a foundation club like St George. That would be the equivalent of Man Utd being stripped of everything they had ever won. Inconceivable.

Fortunately, I'm a Knights fan so the prospect of being reduced to zero points isnt quite so frightening ..... :smirk:

Yep - clearly rumours of the NRL action had already leaked. Matty Johns had to keep a straight face and respond to point-blank questions re his time with the club - the best he could come up with was 'OK, I stood there at training, looking around at the player talent and thinking "They've done well to keep this many top players at the club". He claimed that its an unspoken rule in League that you never talk about how much another player is receiving - I accept that, but there is no way that players would not have suspected skullduggery after several years of being able to field several of the best players in the game season after season. I have often wondered the same thing about the Broncos, despite several players claiming that they accepted less money to be able to stay with a winning combination.

Fortunately, I'm a Knights fan so the prospect of being reduced to zero points isnt quite so frightening ..... :smirk:

So you support the "Drug Squad'

I'm a Sharks fan. We haven't even reached the salary cap :banghead:

drug squad ? Mate, thats the tip of the iceberg - while Joey was getting off his face (and playing better than he did straight, by his own admission), his brother was gangbanging mentally retarded women in NZ : these guys were once Rugby League royalty. Its interesting that our soccer players dont seem to get into these kinds of situations - if they do, the media cant be bothered reporting it unless its a Kewell or someone at that level.

Archived