Retirement Visa

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A small correction : the 800K per year is for single retirees, for married ones its only 400K per year.

BB

Uh, no ... not as I understand it. A foreigner legally married to a Thai has to have 400,000 in the bank for a marriage visa.

A retirement visa requires 800,000, married or not. Unless it is changed, the retiree can combine his wife's bank account and his own to reach the 800,000 figure.

That SOB Takky doubled all the figures. It used to be 200,000 for a marriage visa and 400,000 for retirement. Takky hates poor people ... unless they are Thai and can vote for him. :(

Some clarification needed here:

Op's subject is Retirement visa.

First you need to obtain a VISA, which you only can get OUTSIDE Thailand.

Best to get Non-O if you want to stay In Thailand on basis of retirement it's called Extension of Stay and provided by local immigration offices. You need to be aged 50 and show income 65k/month or 800K in Thai bank account or combination of both.

The 400K/40k month mentioned by BB is for extension based on support for thai wife.

If both retirees are non-Thai 2x 800K or 2x65k/month is required.

A special visa Non immigrant O-A can be obtained in your country of residence for retirement purpose, you need equivalent 800K in your country's bank, medical certificate, police report. Travelling abroad before first year get you fresh permission to stay for 365 days when re-entering Thailand for a max of 2 years, then you will need extension of stay at local immigration office. BUT: only a few consulates

do provide O-A visa, many simply refuse and tell you to get extension based on Non-O in Thailand.

From my experience Immigration is constantly moving the signpost to obtain extensions,making life difficult, and an extensions of stay is limited to one year only. Not very nice as compared to European rules.

I hope this clarifies some of the confusion here :dunce:

And Flash, no you can not combine bank accounts when married. A friend just ran into problems last month: "8 years I combine our bank account and not only had I my extension refused but I also needed to bring a Thai witness with me to confirm my marriage and fill in a long form". He also needed to show pictures of both in front of their house. Seems they run crack-down on fake marriages :clown:

Please stop referring to "marriage visa" and "retirement visa", what you get by visiting immigration offices is an "Extension of Stay".

The only existing "retirement visa" is the Non Immigrant O-A visa obtained in your country of residence, if you can get one. Most embassies/consulates will refuse to issue one.

When I got an "extension of stay" by being married, I had to take my Mrs to Immigration only the first time. Of course, it probably have helped that she was a civil servant and I was also a "temporary" civil servant. I saw guys coming in the most painted up tarts you can imagine.

Allegedly, some men were paying a BG to register a marriage with no intention of ever living with them. I heard tales of the Immigration police dropping in unannounced to see if the couple were living together, talking to the neighbours etc. And that was years ago.

When I got an "extension of stay" by being married, I had to take my Mrs to Immigration only the first time. Of course, it probably have helped that she was a civil servant and I was also a "temporary" civil servant. [color:red]I saw guys coming in the most painted up tarts you can imagine.[/color]

Allegedly, some men were paying a BG to register a marriage with no intention of ever living with them. I heard tales of the Immigration police dropping in unannounced to see if the couple were living together, talking to the neighbours etc. And that was years ago.

Hey, I still got my visa though! :neener:

The O-A visa is issued by Embassies outside Thailand and on entry the person gets a 1 year permission to stay stamp. Therefore there is no need for the person to go to Immigration except for the 90 day address report. If it is a multi entry, then the person may exit and re-enter just before the visa expires and will get another 1 year stamp. If they leave again, they will need a re-entry permit to keep that permission to stay date valid.

The 800k (or 65k a month income) is for a 1 year extension of an existing permission to stay stamp given by Immigration after the person is in Thailand. For a person married to a Thai the requirement is 400k in bank or 45k a month income. There is still the requirement to report address every 90 days. A re-entry permit is required if leaving in order to keep the permission to stay day valid.

For a person on a 1 year’s extension based on retirement that is married to a non-Thai, the spouse may be granted a dependent extension. This has gone back and forth over the years, and may vary depending on the Immigration office used. I think now they mostly require both to have 800k in bank for each extension.

TH

Thanks for the clarifications, even if I am feeling a little bit more confused :content: lol

Just have to do some research on the good tit bits provided herein.

However, I have had an occasion or two to go to the Thai consul here in Brisbane and found them to be as useless as tits on a bull. May have to take a trip down to Sydney for a weekend visit.

• 1 month later...

Archived