Cambodian Tarzan Girl Discovered

gladius69

Wombats, bunyips, Tasmanian devils, cannibals, nervous gods, politicians, Torney Boy ... all sorts of strange critters.

The trolls, hobbits etc are in Kiwiland. :D

Yep, but far and away the scariest critters were those they have only recently unearthed in various desert fossils - huge carnivorous (!) marsupials which would have torn early humans limb from limb (not sure of timelines, but I think they were gone when the aboriginals arrived from the Malay archipelago).

Even now, kangaroos have the ability to disembowel anything that gets too close and too agressive - the difference is that they wouldnt eat your entrails in front of your dying eyes. Compared to those 'super' marsupials, even TB is a relatively tame animal !

A couple of the YoYos I worked with in the 90s managed to convince two Canadian girls that the drop bear was not only real, but potentially very dangerous. I guess these things burrow deep into one's subconscious when you come from a country which has bears which could take your face off with a single swipe. I think I'd rather take my chances with the StingRay that took out Steve Irwin.

Years ago my mum was recovering from having sun spots (pre cursor to Sun Cancer if not treated) cut out of her nose, dreadful scaring as they had to take skin from her butt to replace lost skin on the nose.

I took her for a drive up to the three sisters behind Sydney, great peaks, and tourist area.

While waiting to go out in the gondola (in the air, not water) we queued with a lot of Japanese tourists.,

I noticed the tour leader looking at my mum a lot, she was pretty ugly at the time, (as was the tour leader) and the tour leader obviously spoke good English.

I pulled my mum into my arms and said loud enough for the tour leader to hear "There there mum, don't cry, the scars aren't that bad, that Koala was really nasty wasn't he"

The Japanese tour leader eyes grew wide open and she came over to me

"Sorry to interrupt, but I heard you say a Koala did that?"

My mum got a bit hysterical at that, so I held her tight so it sounded like sobbing.

I replied "Yes - Koala's, or drop bears as we call them are vicious animals, not the tame drugged ones you see in the zoos"

She cried out loud "I KNEW IT - I always KNEW it - they said they sleep 20 hours a day, impossible, I KNEW they where drugged so we could hold them!"

With that she went off, told the tour group, who all took photo's of mum laughing hysterically, err sobbing uncontrollably, in my arms.

As we passed her on the way out she said "I am telling everyone how dangerous these animals really are.

Now the scary thing, a year later I am working with a Japanese newspaper, and we get a report from the Tourism Authority that visits to Koala parks have fallen . . . . . .

Sadly just a few days ago my mum had more spots taken from her nose, legacy of being a Queenslander, so I've organised one of my sisters to take her to to Loan Pine . . . . . . . .

NG, I think that should be 'Lone Pine' :smirk:

I took an Indo gal there years ago, and she almost peed herself at the prospect of being able to cuddle a Koala. Understandable, I guess, but she was no less excited when we went to a croc farm near Rocky - they handed around baby crocs and I dont think she gave hers back. Its probably a handbag and kneehigh boots by now.

Archived