What happens if...?

Old Hippie

I posted previously of a problem I am having running RosettaStone, it worked fine before, but apparently, something got currupted. I was told updating to ME or reinstallin windows 98 might help. So, 1) what happens if I reinstall 98? 2) would installing ME help, provided it is a matter of something being deleated? Or would it repair what ever is corrupted? Thanks!

if you re-install windows 98 over the top of your existing one (ie from the same CD or folder) it will repair/replace corrupted windows files. if you install from scratch (ie boot disk to dos and format) it will replace everthing including all your programs and documents

Old Hippie

I would suggest that re-installing Windows should be your last resort. You would then have to re-install all the programs on your PC. The same would apply to upgrading to ME and cannot really see much benefit from this. BTW, I have generally found that its always best to start from a completely clean machine if you are changing/upgrading Windows. MS upgrades often seem to leave the machine in an unreliable state.

My first approach would be to uninstall Resetta Stone. If there is no Uninstall option on the program's menu, click on Start then Settings, Control Panel. In Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs and find Rosetta Stone in the list to remove it. You could then re-install the program.

Hope this is of help.

Solar

Old Hippie

First of all I am not a Techie or even in IT. However I have been running win98 on my first PC ever for three years now.

I recently reformated. as described in the first reply to you, it was not a full reformating but Just reloading of the operating platform.

If you have been running your PC for a simular amount of time and have installed and uninstalled many programs over time, deleted tons of crap. Then it is possible you may be starting to see some small bugs ocuring ? Little flutters , things crashing that did not ocur when you first got the maching ? Well it certainly it was for me. It would definetley iron out some kinks for you. I understand particularly curious to win98 the registry does not reset itself too well.

If you have a CD burner or some other way you can back up and save all your important data (if its a laptop take it somewhere you can hire a burner). Then JUST DO IT! your machine will run smoothly again and you will feel better than if you had had a really really good shit!!!

uninstall your rosetta stone program first. then install it again from the CD. if you want detail screen shot of how to do it, email me and i will provide you step by step screen. updating/reinstalling your OS is the last resort to the problem.

Thanks to all, The common consensus is, something got corupted or deleated during a maintainance run. Not sure what or how, I think the question is how to find out whatand how to put it back. I have heard both pro and con as to reinstalling windows. I think I may just flush the machine out and reload! Or not...

Archived