The politics of funding the red shirts' protest

Flashermac

To begin with, truly, I was neutral, and could care less about Thai Politics. When the Yellow, held the airport, I was a bit pissed, but not crazy, just changed some plans. It was not till the violence started, that I took a position. First violence, I remember was the shooting of rockets and small arms into the Government House compound, other grenades, outside, PAD guard shootings and the two PAD people found floating face down, in the river. I guess, at that time, I got the feeling, not all the DADD people were good guys.

I feel sorry for the under educated, rural poor Thais that got bussed in, with propaganda, that they would bring needed reform and democracy to Thailand. At the same time make500 baht a day and eating, drinking, and partying better than they could otherwise, afford, with a new red shirt included.

“I assume you are joking about the article being written in support of the reds. I know Thitinan Pongsudhirak and, unless things have changed radically, he is not a red. He is refreshingly candid and can see both sides of an issue. He also knows Abbhisit.â€Â

I took time to read some of his other columns and bio, I guess, you must have known, Thitinan was an Economic Advisor to Thaksin from 1998 to 2006. YUP, A HIRED HAND. He wants to see others bank records, let start with his.

“He is refreshingly candid and can see both sides of an issue. He also knows Abbhisit.â€Â

At the beginning of the RED PROTEST, he said “they are empowered to make changeâ€Â

And for the YELLOW PROTEST, he said “they are diluted with their own self importance.â€Â

Funny, he seems to follow, Robert Amsterdam talking points (what do you think he gets them by email, or fax). Some talking points you know well: who else in Thailand is corrupt, where did the funding come from for the Yellows, why double standards, and other such non sense to deflect from the current issues. I guess Amsterdam likes to use of the terms, such as Royalist Army and Government, would not go well Thailand.

So what did Thitinan think of his former boss, after the coup?

“Mr. Thaksin’s background and experience reveal a man on a mission, a self-styled messiah of Thai politics. His nature is not to accept defeat unless it is forced on him. Thus the Thaksin phenomenon, his denials notwithstanding, is unstoppable because of the sheer force of Mr. Thaksin’s resources, personality, and conviction.â€Â

http://www.insightbureau.com/insight_articles/FTDO.No14.Thitinan.Apr07.pdf

You just can not trust any one in today’s Thai Political discussion that refuses to acknowledge as important.

1) 100 dead/ 1,000 injured

2) Violence and terrorism

3) Burning Buildings

I do not know, if to call Thitinan a shill or a want to be, spin doctor. BUT, any idea he is objective, has spiraled clockwise down the bowl, long ago.

THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PROTEST AND TERRORISM!

I do not care, who give money for a peaceful protest. Let’s say for sake of discussion, I gave 10K baht to the REDS, for the protest. Also, I did not see the utube, Khon Kaen protest leader, telling the willing, effectively bring an empty bottle, we will fill it in Bangkok with petrol for you, if we do not get an election we will burn Bangkok to the ground.

What would I call an, AHHH SHIT MOMENT?

When, the M 79 grenade landed in the middle of the soldiers, killing 6, injuring 14. Not the first M 79, but the first one that was very effective, in doing what they are designed to do.

AHHH SHIT, I gave 10K baht for a protest, now I am funding Terrorism.

Make no mistake, this is primarily about BIG $$$ and POWER, hell that would be a good title, for the movie that will certainly, be forth coming. Without Thaksin, this would never have happened. I should not say this, I have promised not to divulge details from a source inside Lumpini Headquarters, who wears a brown shirt to work, with 1st hand knowledge. The money distribution is beyond belief. After hearing BIG MONEY, I guessed 10s of millions of baht, to get an answer of maybe a 100 Billion baht or more.

“It's pretty clear that many of the protestors had legitimate grievances. There is a serious split here.â€Â

So, what are these serious differences anyway? What could not wait, beside Thaksin $$$ till the next election? Shit I had to wait, for 7 years for Pres Bush to go now, I am waiting for another 2.5 hoping for a better choice than Obama, and do not even know if I will get one.

“If this government was truly neutral and intent on real reconciliationâ€Â

Would you be surprised to find out they are not, why would they be, interested, in more of the Bullshit, of the past? Prosecute who you have, add more as you find them, and shoot, them if necessary. SOMEBODY, got to pay, for all the deaths and injuries, caused by the premeditated act of terrorism.

“By reaching out to the more moderate leaders of the UDD rather than demonizing the movement as a whole I think this government could drive a hard wedge between Thaksin and the more moderate (and less mercenary) reds.â€Â

Horse Shit, that ship, has sailed, tell them anything, to keep them happy, much like they are holding hostages. Just keep prosecuting, jailing and shooting if necessary, terrorists. At the point of the AHHH SHIT moment on, anyone that did not walk away immediately, was a supporter of terrorism.

“And if there is an investigation, make it thorough and do a good job. The stuff that has come out recently is easily recognized as nothing more than fluff and propaganda.â€Â

Next week, maybe a better news week, hell with a little luck, they may slap cuffs on a few Shinawatra and hold them on terrorism charges.

In the follow the money stage of this investigation, when a few are cornered, facing serious jail time, unable to explain their expenditures, they will start to squeal like pigs.

IF YOU SUPPORT or FUND TERRORISM, YOU ARE A TERRORIST!

• 2 weeks later...

It totally amazes me, how the Thai newspaper, try to make news, without getting to the point, of what exactly is the trouble...

Kanit to dig for root causes of political conflict"

"Kanit na Nakhon, head of the panel looking for truth and reconciliation, said yesterday it was necessary to look for the root causes of the political conflict instead of just bringing wrongdoers to justice."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/07/08/politics/Kanit-to-dig-for-root-causes-of-political-conflict-30133319.html

If he does not already know now, he likely never will. By chance he does ever finds out, he will not discuss it. Anyone that thinks, it not important to bring the wrongdoers to justice and face the issues head on, or there will be more problems,is just adding fuel to the bonfire.

I think this is somewhat of an Asian way of communicating, in that you ask questions that you know the answer to, but pretend not to, then are surprised when you find out what you already know.

Everybody who reads this (and I assume it is a translation anyway) knows what he is actually saying.

I find it interesting that Kanit says he will release information as he gathers it and not wait until report is issued.

TH

The committee would dig deeply into the root causes of conflict between different groups of people over the past several years, he said.

Kanit promised to release every finding straight to the public instead of waiting for a final report as he had done previously when looking into the May 1992 bloodshed and former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's war on drugs.

He said the committee's sole purpose was to give the public nothing but the truth so the government had no chance of covering it up.

The panel will also use the concept of "restorative justice" to prevent a recurrence of violence, he said.

"Let's look at the cause of the violence, not each particular incident. We could go back to 1997 and look into the so-called people's constitution and political reform to find out why it led to a military coup [in 2006]", he said.

Archived