{rant} Why I hate NGO's! And Why is Rape Never Mentioned?

TheCorinthian

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... So was that female major who got caught. Just what do people think will happen to captured women? :(

Major Rondha Cornum. Amazing woman. Helicopter shot down, both arms broken, bullet in her back, taken prisoner along with other male survivor of the crash. On the ride to Basra in back of a truck, one of the guards opens her flight suit, fondles her and pushes her head into his lap. Here what she said about it:

I mean, a lot of people make a big deal about getting molested, and I'm ... sure it's a ... it's a big deal. ...But in the heirarchy of things that were going wrong, that was pretty low on my list.

Link

TH

And why is rape never mentioned in the news?

Ask the NYT and other news outlets. It was among the most vocal about so-called "humiliation"/hazing of Iraqi prisoners and couldn't wait to publish "news" and photos of the "atrocities". I suspect that sitting on stories of rape of allied women combatants would make our guys and gals out to be less "villanous".

HH

Cav, I've read that FDR banned publishing photos of dead GIs until fairly late in WWII. Made things too real to the folks back home. One reason the VN War got so unpopular was that the press seemed to fall all over itself publishing pics of dead GIs and civilians. A number of times families learned that their son/father/brother was dead by seeing it in the news before the military had even had time to notify them. From the Gulf War on, pics of dead GIs have been largely discouraged. Usually all you see are coffins draped with flags.

The Bush Admin had a shit fit when a reporter published a very real and dignified (imo) picture of caskets in a C130 being shipped back to the USA...hey, this is real...if not real let's send the Bush daughters to Irag and Afganistan, Clinton's daughters...maybe Cheney's children...ohhhh, now a different story...

Fuck these lame azz politicians, put up or shot the fuck up!!! Many of us have been there and paid the toll!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well damn, here is a report about rape!

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/as-many-as-200-women-baby-boys-gang-raped-near-congo-un-base/19605217

Saw this all the time in Africa, Middle East too. First I have heard it reported though. How shocking is that?

As many as 200 women were systematically gang-raped by Rwandan and Congolese rebels over a four-day period last month less than 20 miles from a U.N. peacekeeping base in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the United Nations and aid groups reported.

The Associated Press reported that four baby boys were also raped in the attacks that began in a key mining district on July 30. U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky told reporters today the rebels blocked a key road during the raping and looting spree.

Archived