Banking Fraud - Kasikorn?

cavanami

Just got this from Kasikorn Bank...

Suspension of the direct fund transfer function to account not previously registered in the system

August 18, 2010

Due to the recent news of fraud on Internet banking service of a commercial bank, of which detailed information Is not available yet and for security reasons, we are obliged to take precautionary measures bu suspending direct fund transfer function to account not previously entered in the system...

Doesn't appear to be a scam, as you are not asked to reply or send any info, etc.

Anyone read or hear of what fraud is going on?

I will wander by my local Kasikorn branch and see what is up...as luck of the Irish, I need to setup a bank transfer thing...grrrrrrr

There was a news article recently that some banks had been hacked and the regulators were suggesting that banks need to increase security.

I got this from Bangkok Bank

Dear Bualuang iBanking Member,

With regard to recent news relating to the security of internet banking we wish to clarify and confirm that Bangkok Bank’s internet banking service is reliable and has not been hacked or compromised by any attack on the system.

However, everyone making online transactions must be aware that their computers can be infiltrated by malicious software, such as Trojans and viruses. Such software can be downloaded onto a computer in various ways including visiting unfamiliar websites, opening attached files from unknown sources, or using illegal software. These types of malware can do things like copy your user name and password which can lead to subsequent fraud.

To protect your banking and to protection your computer from any intrusion, we recommend that you follow the following advice:

Observe carefully the notifications sent by the bank. E-mails and SMS notifications are used to advise customers of activities in their account, and the information in these should be checked carefully – for example make sure the 3rd party account number in the SMS are the same as the number you wish to register.

Update your software using licensed versions and update vendor patches regularly.

Use licensed anti-virus software and ensure it is updated regularly.

Change passwords regularly and do not reveal them to any third party.

Bangkok Bank will continue to maintain our high levels of security and is continuously developing and deploying new security features.

Please be aware of the possibility of fraud. If you notice any unusual screens or alerts that you did not initiate yourself, please immediately call the call center on 1333 or +66 (0)2645 5555.

Yours sincerely,

Bualuang iBanking

That email is really just common sense types of things to do. The Kasikorn one actually said they are suspending a direct deposit because of security.

The more I think about it...the more I believe that's a spam/fake email and Kasikorn should be notified so they can rectify it if they feel the need to.

Got this off another forum. Appears to be real.

TH

Looks the same as to what I received in an email.

I will stop in at Kasikorn within the next hour and report back.

The last time they tried extra security, it fucked up doing anything online, unless you were in LOS...they would send a one time PIN to your cell phone to complete the transaction but they had so many complaints, they went back and offered the option of using a secondary PIN of the account holder's chosing.

They had this on their online banking website:

โปรà¸â€Ã Â¸Â£Ã Â¸Â°Ã Â¸Â§Ã Â¸Â±Ã Â¸â€¡Ã Â¹â€šÃ Â¸â€ºÃ Â¸Â£Ã Â¹Âà¸Âรมโทจัน (Trojan)

Beware of Trojan Program

เพื่อความปลอà¸â€Ã Â¸Â Ã Â¸Â±Ã Â¸Â¢Ã Â¹Æ’นà¸Âารใช้บริà¸Âาร K-Cyber Banking ของท่าน ธนาคารฯ ขอà¹Âนะนำว่า ทุà¸Âครั้งที่ท่านทำรายà¸Âาร

เพิ่มบัà¸Âชีบุคคลอื่น ท่านจะต้องตรวจสอบ “เลขที่บัà¸Âชี†ซึ่งปราà¸Âà¸Âใน email ที่ระบบส่งไปยืนยันà¸Âารเพิ่มบัà¸Âชีในครั้ง

นั้น เพื่อให้à¹Âน่ใจว่าเป็นหมายเลขบัà¸Âชีที่ท่านต้องà¸Âาร à¸Â่อนที่ท่านจะทำà¸Âารโอนเงินไปยังบัà¸Âชีนั้น เนื่องจาà¸Âหาà¸Âมี

โปรà¹Âà¸Âรมโทรจัน (Trojan) à¹Âอบà¸Âังตัวอยู่บนเครื่องคอมพิวเตอร์ของท่าน โปรà¹Âà¸Âรมโทรจันนั้นอาจจะสามารถเปลี่ยน

à¹Âปลงเลขที่บัà¸Âชีà¸Â่อนส่งข้อมูลมาให้ระบบของธนาคารโà¸â€Ã Â¸Â¢Ã Â¸â€”่านไม่รู้ตัวไà¸â€Ã Â¹â€°

For Security reasons, you must review the ACCOUNT NUMBER shown in the email confirmation that is sent

to you from the system to confirm your request to add other's account and make sure that it is actually the

account number you wish to add. The double checking is necessary because if your computer is infected

with a Trojan, the account number that you type in could be changed to another number before it is sent to

the bank's system without your knowledge.

Archived