Faking e mails

spirit_of_town_hall

Sounds like a non issue compared with answering a non LOS phone if you are in LOS. First of all people will probably not be scrutinizing your mail headers. In all likely hood all they will see is the from and reply to values. If you want there to be some evidence that you are in Singapore why not sign up for email at http://edit.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=sg . Sign up for a shell account with he.net or seanic.net and you can just use good'ol pine via a ssh session from thier server.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...it doesn't add you IP to any emails you send..."

But then how can someone *respond* to your email? If the IP is removed from the header, how can it be routed over the network?

"...As I recall it the mail won't indicate the actual geographical location from where it was sent"

It will show the IP address, which can be used to determine the geographical origin.

Fred,

Sorry for the confusion. Obviously it has a return path to Hush Mail servers which are located in USA but it does not insert your own IP into the email.

Therefore it's impossible for anyone to tell where in the world you are when you send the email.

Hotmail DOES add your own personal IP into the header also.

Fred

There are 2 options, they do a free account that appends ads to your emails and also show them to you as you view your virtual mail box.

The paid option (which seems a reasonable fee) does not. They have been around for 3 years now so they are not going to take your money and disappear either.

Security is their selling point if you like. All your account access is over a secure connection and I'm pleased with the service.

Hi!

I just sent an email from my hotmail account to my corporate email addy. The only data visible in outlook is my hotmail address. I suppose that the ip number could be present in a header field that is not displayed in outlook. Any which way aproxy would take care of this problem. What you outlined is not illegal so most proxy operators would not give out any information.

regards

ALHOLK

"...I suppose that the ip number could be present in a header field that is not displayed in outlook..."

Yes it is. There is an option in Outlook to view header details.

Archived