ACLU Challenges Search of Laptops at Borders (US)

See GWB' date=' Iraq, ca 2002-2008, for excuses for an acceptable method

[/quote']

Not asking about methods. Asking about BKT's morals and why he believes violence is acceptable on a macro scale. He said this:

In Thailand, if they don't like the government, they can stage a coupe. In the USA, we can't do that.

This Thai coup has taken a lot of lives on all sides: [color:red]BKT tacitly advocates armed intervention in politics. So yes, BKT said he believes violence and killing is an acceptable means of government change.[/color] Please back this up.

You seem to be a master of trying to put words in my mouth.

I don't believe in violence as you claimed but you refuse to provide a quote of me saying so. What you did is conveniently manipulated some data to support your belief, which is a big no-no.

[color:red]But then......[/color]

Our country was founded on violence and killing - The American Revolution.

Later, our country split in to two and we fought one of the bloodiest wars in our histry known as the Civil War.

Our country was also involved in one of the longest wars in Hisory - the war that almost exterminated the American Indian. Some historians claimed that war lasted about 450 years.

Our country has been involved in overthrowing other countries, in many cases, under false pretense. Iraq war was a claissical example of our continue Monroe Doctrine policies.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee ... I thought the Monroe Doctrine applied only to the western hemisphere. :hmmm:

p.s. The Monroe Doctrine worked in a large part because the British empire went along with it because it suited their purposes too.

Iraq et al. is in fact part of a gross abandonment of the Monroe Doctrine that began in the early 20th century, when the US government decided to become a world power and meddle in the rest of the world's business. Before that isolationism was all the rage, except in Central and South America.

Not at all. You said it, have another look....

In Thailand, if they don't like the government, they can stage a coupe. In the USA, we can't do that.

When the Thais took over the 2 airports, if that happened in the USA, SWAT teams would converge and there would have been a lot of dead bodies.

We don't have as much liberty as we think we do.

So again, you think killing people for political change is "more liberty," huh?

Maybe its just me but I read Bangkoktraveler's quote above as meaning, although america is known as the "land of the free," the judicial system, government and particularly cops caste a chilling effect on the behavior of U.S. residents, and thus curtails their liberties. I didn't read it as a manifesto for revolutionary, violent change

Not at all. You said it' date=' have another look....

When the Thais took over the 2 airports, if that happened in the USA, SWAT teams would converge and there would have been a lot of dead bodies.

We don't have as much liberty as we think we do.

So again, you think killing people for political change is "more liberty," huh?

[color:red]Once more, you put words in my mouth.[/color]

But then, you probably think the American Revolution was wrong, right?

Maybe its just me but I read Bangkoktraveler's quote above as meaning, although america is known as the "land of the free," the judicial system, government and particularly cops caste a chilling effect on the behavior of U.S. residents, and thus curtails their liberties. I didn't read it as a manifesto for revolutionary, violent change

Exactly. One point you did leave out is we use to have more 'freedoms' but a lot of them have been taken away. As an example, when I was a boy, it is was a lot different then it is today.

Archived