Australian SIM Card

Hamokhamok

I'm travelling to Australia through Thailand shortly.

I want to be able to make mobile calls while in Australia.

Can anyone here tell me what is the best value SIM card to get when I arrive in Australia (Darwin).

I want to be able to phone Internationally as well as Internally.

Thanks.

You can buy Vodafone sims for $2 in most supermarkets and service stations from memory... or I think they are free if you buy $20 (?) worth of credit. If that doesn't appeal there are plenty of mobile phone shops in most city, suburban and regional shopping centres, even the small ones.

Their call rates are ok, especially if you go for the prepaid caps ($29 for $400 worth of calls or something like that but they expire in a month). Can be used for local and international calls.. About a dollar a minute from memory..

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find them everywhere, Hamok.

Any shopping mall/shopping centre will have a phone shop where you can buy a pre-paid SIM.

Even Woolworths Supermarkets have their own SIM now with the cards available at the customer service desk of each store.

When you register your sim use the 12 month validity option (they call it 365 something) as it will stay valid for 12 months. You also get an allocation of overseas calls at a local rate in that plan.

For information purposes.

I got a Vodafone SIM card in Coles Store in Darwin. A$2.00 to purchase but because of the plan I sent for it was free (big deal). Anyway for A$49.00 FlexiPlan I got something like A$350.00 worth of calls. A$350.00 worth of calls between Vodafone and Vodafone and some bonus time as well.

I've rung home (Ireland) a number of times and still have loads of money left on it. I also rang Australian landline numbers the cost of which have been taken from the bonus time - so didn't have to pay for those either.

So overall a very good deal.

Archived