Obscure question about "curry noodles"

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this. Once in BKK, some Thai friends of mine in the Ramkhamhaeng neighborhood took me to an oudoor muslim food center in the area, if which I can't remember where it is now and no one else seems to know. Anyway, the reason they took me there is to have what they called in english "muslim curry noodles." It was basically like your ordinary kwatiyow, except the naam wasn't broth, but spicy curry, and it was absolutely delicious. No this was not khao soi, and it was not khanom jin either. If anything, it tasted like kari mee you find all over malaysia. Anyway, these friends of mine said it was "kwatiyow kaeng."

The thing is, outside of this lone experience, I have not once found this dish anywhere else in the kingdom, and no other thai I have asked has ever heard of this dish.

Has anyone heard of, or had this dish before? If so, what stalls have it? Thanks.

You bring up and interesting memory. I do recall eating a similar dish, but I don't recall exactly where, I think in the south, but I am not sure. It was a long time ago. I would suggest asking around at the various food vendors, maybe one of them knows. If not, try a cooking school, and ask them how to prepare it. I destinctly remember such a dish, and I haven't seen it since. I remember it was the wider, kway teow type noodle. It was similar to what you see served with "gravy" and other stuff (shrimp, veg. whatever). Try the restaurant below Annies Soi 2, and see if anything there seems similar, I seem to remember thay have a lot of noodle dishes!

Thanks for the tip. I think it may have just been that I somehow stumbled onto a stall which offered a dish unknown to non-thais. When I think about it, there are a LOT of thai dishes I have not tried even after staying there for 4+ years. I kind a got used to eating the more popular dishes that are widely available. But it seems like I'm always learning and trying stuff I never heard of. Like recently, when I was in loei, I had bird head soup and fried "house chicken" (gai ban). It was explained to me that it was chicken that is raised at home and not market bought, with a more natural and less fatty taste, and is supposedly something a lot of isaan folks enjoy. Anyway, it was absolutely delicious, but I'd never heard of it before, even though all my thai friends said it was well known.

Archived