Police Harassment... misunderstanding over Mia Noi

Fidel

This is going to be a bit long winded but I've just become afraid, very afraid.

I'm a single teacher and about two months ago a teacher colleague introduced me to a teacher from the anuban or kindergarten section of my school.

She's pretty but I wasn't to gone on the girls personality. She speaks no English and my Thai is conversational, not good enough to carry a relationship. She has been buying me presents and coming to my house but I've not really been interested.

About two weeks ago another teacher told me that this girl has a Thai boyfriend already and that he has heard that she is seeing someone else... ie. me. I asked her about this and she denied it, I saw it as a chance to be rid of her for one and for all but she kept coming to my house.

A few days ago I was given more info about the boyfriend. He lives about 2 hours from here, he is married with 3 kids....... and wait for it, HE'S A COP!

This was more than enough to frighten me off so I started avoiding her but I didn't have the heart to tell her to fuck off and stop coming to my house and calling me. She came round last night and left at about 10:30pm. About twenty minutes later the phone rang, my friend's Thai girlfriend answered... it was the cop. He was asking questions about me and about this Thai girl.... who is his MIA NOI!

Understandably I got a bit of a fright but I suspected it was the girl herself getting some guy to call and pretend to be her boyfriend as a piss take.

This morning at 8:30am the phone rang again, it was the cop asking to speak to me, I played dumb and said I couldn't understand what he was saying, I said I was in bed and I claimed to be someone else. He asked if anyone who could speak Thai was in and I said that everyone else was asleep.

The guy has called the house for the past 4 days...

Any suggestions on a way out?

#1 is an attractive option IF you're not yet attached to the country. I would not do it myself, but if I were a newbie here, I'd be thinking about it. Perhaps a change of location INSIDE Thailand? Are you in Bangkok? Your "2 hours away" remark makes it sound like you're upcountry.

Unless this is some weird sort of scam being perpetrated, and I haven't heard of one like this before, you might want to take him a bottle of Johnnie Black and swear to him that you're not interested in her. Be honest. Say she won't stop calling or coming over and you don't know what to do about it. Trying to avoid him might reinforce his belief in your guilt. The Johnnie Walker (and straightforwardness) might make him a valuable ally.

Well,

In reply to your questions. I know he's a cop because I've been told by a Phillipina teacher who works with the girl. It seems that all the Thai teachers in the Kindergarten were aware of it but nobody bothered to mention it to me.

Also, once confronted with all the details the girl finally admitted it. The best part of it is that I was introduced to her by a "really good friend" of mine who played along with it and covered up for her until I mentioned the phone calls.

How he got my phone number..... well, when I met her she would call me from her mobile phone. This phone was cut off so she didn't call me. Later she started calling again on another phone to which she wouldn't give me the number. The guy, when he called, said that he had found my number in her phone... so I guess he had given her a phone to use and she, intelligently enough, stored my number in it.

I'm living up country...... I've been told about another teacher who knows this cop very well and she has been asked to call him and explain what happened.

I believe this girl was trying to get out of the relationship with the cop and now she has dragged me into the line of fire. It appears the guy has been following her and calling her friends. I've been told that she loves him but wants out because he's married.

By the way, I realise that refusing to speak to him will reinforce his belief in my guilt but I was hung over yesterday so I left the phone off the hook during the time that he has been calling... this morning my mate was on the net so the line would have been engaged at that time.

I'm going to try and make some calls to sort this mess out today,

Wish me luck

DB's suggestion #3 would be the Thai way to go about it, and IMHO, the most preferable. Of course, this solution implies that you have such contacts, which you may not.

If she is already a mia noy, and you are not overly attached to her, you may want to just move on. There are plenty of fine catches out there w/out the baggage that she is bringing your way. Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

froggo

Talk to the guy. He obviously wants to tell you to stay away. Very important, do not lose your temper, stay very calm, explain that this girl said she didnt have a boyfriend and assure him that if she has a boyfriend already you will stay away.

He obviously just wants to talk to you because if he wanted to make trouble he wouldnt bother telephoning.

Better off to not use an intermedary because things may get lost in translation and unless your intermedary is of equal standing they will have trouble talking directly to this guy. You being a farang are outside this class structure so you can talk fairly directly to him.

I would do something fairly soon if I was you.

"DB's suggestion #3 would be the Thai way to go about it, and IMHO, the most preferable."

I agree that that might be the most preferable for a Thai, but not for a farang, because if a farang does happen to have such contacts, then the farang will owe a huge favor to the Thai that might not be good to repay when the Thai calls in his chits, depending on what the favor he wants in return turns out to be.

Even if your mutual friend talks to him, Fidel, I recommend a bottle of Black anyway to follow up and ensure that you weren't out to muscle in on his territory.

Archived