Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Utah’s Love looking to be first black Republican woman in House

Sooner or later, a black Republican woman was bound to run for Congress. It’s just that nobody expected her to hail from Utah.

Mia Love won the GOP nomination for the 4th Congressional District race Saturday at the Utah Republican Convention, scoring a major upset after wowing the crowd with a roof-raising speech at the South Towne Expo Center in Sandy.

The daughter of Haitian immigrants, Mrs. Love took 70.4 percent of the delegate vote, well in excess of the 60 percent required to avoid a primary runoff under Utah’s unique rules. She defeated former state legislator Carl Wimmer, who had been viewed as the heavy favorite. He mustered only 29.6 percent of the vote.

If Mrs. Love, 37, defeats her Democratic opponent, Rep. Jim Matheson, she will become the first black Republican woman to serve in the House.

“Today we have an opportunity to do something very special. Today we can start breaking a pattern,†Mrs. Love told the delegates before the vote over the weekend. “Today we can start bringing Jim Matheson home. Elect one nominee today, so we can take this fight to Jim Matheson tomorrow.â€

She starts as an underdog against the six-term Democrat, but her oratorical skills and her unusual story should not to be underestimated, Utah political watchers say.

“She really gave a great speech. She gave an enthusiastic and well-delivered speech,†said Tim Chambless, associate professor of political science at the University of Utah. “And I think there’s a desire to send a message to the rest of the country that Utah is not all white males.â€

The mayor of Saratoga Springs, Mrs. Love also may have benefited from a convention backlash spurred by state Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, a Wimmer supporter. Before the final vote, Mr. Shurtleff urged delegates to back a candidate with “a proven record who can beat Jim Matheson this fall. Not a novelty.â€

Some delegates booed his remark, and Mr. Shurtleff later issued a tearful apology, saying he inadvertently made a “terrible choice of words.†He said he had meant to imply that Mrs. Love was new to the process.

Despite her underdog status, Mrs. Love had the support of some GOP heavy-hitters, including Josh Romney, son of likely Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, as well as House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy and budgetmeister Rep. Paul Ryan.

Taking out a sitting congressman is never easy, especially one with Mr. Matheson’s long tenure in the House, name recognition and proven ability to defy the odds as a Democrat in a Republican state. But Republicans say they’re optimistic about Mrs. Love’s chances, pointing to the state’s newly configured congressional map.

Utah gained a fourth congressional seat in the 2010 census, leading to a dramatic redrawing of the state’s House districts. The state Legislature plowed more Republicans into Mr. Matheson’s 2nd Congressional District, leading him to jump to the 4th District, which is still largely Republican but has more Democrats.

Mr. Matheson’s move prompted cries of “carpetbagger†from Utah Republicans because the Democrat said he planned to keep his eastern Salt Lake City home, which remains in the 2nd District. Members of Congress are not required to live in the districts they represent.

Mr. Matheson, 52, has noted that he represented southwestern Salt Lake City, now a part of the 4th District, earlier in his career. Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz represents the state’s 3rd District even though he did not live there until the lines were redone.

Even before Mrs. Love’s nomination, national Republicans targeted Mr. Matheson for defeat. The National Republican Congressional Committee has aired two television ads highlighting his support for President Obama.

“This is the most Republican district in the country held by a Democrat,†said NRCC spokesman Dan Scarpinato. “He doesn’t live in the district. So it’s going to be a very challenging district for him.â€

Analysts say Mr. Matheson would have had a better shot against Mr. Wimmer. The Democrat traditionally has won with heavy support from female voters, including Republican and independent women, who may switch allegiances when given the opportunity to vote for a female Republican.

“She’s very telegenic, and she’s very bright. She has many, many positive qualities,†said Mr. Chambless, who served as a speechwriter for former Gov. Scott Matheson, Mr. Matheson’s father and fellow Democrat. “Given that Republicans have tried without success to defeat Jim Matheson six times, this is a new approach.â€

Mrs. Love belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose members dominate Utah politics, and participated in the church’s recent “I’m a Mormon†ad campaign. She served two terms on the Saratoga Springs City Council before becoming mayor of the fast-growing suburb.

She ran as a conservative Republican, and her campaign has much for conservatives to love: She’s pro-life, pro-gun rights, pro-domestic energy exploration and pro-state control of public lands.

“If I could go to Washington tomorrow and change one thing, it would be to restore the power and decision-making back to the people,†she says in a campaign video. “What makes America great is this idea that we are free — free to work, free to live, free to choose, and free to fail, because our failures make us better.â€

A black Mormon?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/twitter-suspends-account-of-group-that-created-viral-if-i-wanted-america-to-fail-video-without-explanation/

Twitter Suspends Account of Group that Created Viral ‘If I Wanted America to Fail’ Video During Earth Day, Reinstates at Midnight Without Explanation

My opinion is that the Internet is the next great thing to be controlled. I may be accused (maybe rightfully so) of being over the top but I think the internet has the potential to be as significant as the Gutenberg press. World governments (including our own) are scared sh*tless of the internet and social media.

Personally, I think the video in the link is BS. Neither Obama (or Romney) want America to fail. Its absurd. We may disagree with what direction we think America should take (its called politics and ideology) but no one wants the country to fail. I’d be reticent to be part of any group that truly believes that but its not the point. They should have the right to use social media for their voice. Whether it’s the KKK or Nation of Islam, we should all have a right to voice our opinions. The only exception is the same exceptions we have for other traditional media (the Bill of Rights say for example, you can’t yell fire in a crowded theatre).

The first indictment/arrest in the BP oil spill occurred today with the arrest of a former engineer with BP who is charged with deleting evidence from his twitter account. The evidence centered on BP's knowledge that the mud packing was not working, while telling U.S. officials that it was working. As usual, it was not the oil mess that concerns the Justice department. It is the cover-up of the mess. A good example of this is the re-trial of Roger Clemens. I wouldn't even hazard a guess on what those two trials have/will cost the government. And for what? To give some ambitious prosecutor a notch on his/her belt? Getting back to the BP arrest, I hope that prosecutors show more interest in the laws that were broke leading up to the explosion and not just the laws broke in covering it up. .

Just like Nixon and Watergate, the break in was bad enough. The cover up was deemed worse. When I got into managment for the first time I had a great boss. He said, if you f*ck up, own up to it right away. I can't help you if I don't know. I was one of a few department heads for him and if any of our departments f*cked up he always said 'We' to upstairs. They never knew who specifically. Oh, he'd chew you out but it was between us. I took his advice and always reported mistakes right away and told my people to do the same. My boss wanted to know a) who was affected B) how can we fix it. We'd worry about invidual blame later and only to stop it from happening again. Later on, if something happened and I got blamed for it and if I said it wasn't me, no one questioned it because I had a rep for being out in front of problems (and I f*cked up enough...lol).

Anyway, I said all that to say that's how governments should be run. People are more forgiving if you are out in front of a problem. Take the ass kicking and the heat up front and don't make it harder on yourself.

As for Clemens, my guess is that Congress is sending a message to the rest of us not to lie to them. Its a minor thing that Clemens did but they want to send a message that you should never lie to them. They'll use him as an example. My view is, so what. I'd save the government's time and money for the important sh*t but I can see some people's point for treating all things of this nature as equal.

Utah’s Love looking to be first black Republican woman in House

Sooner or later, a black Republican woman was bound to run for Congress. It’s just that nobody expected her to hail from Utah.

Mia Love won the GOP nomination for the 4th Congressional District race Saturday at the Utah Republican Convention, scoring a major upset after wowing the crowd with a roof-raising speech at the South Towne Expo Center in Sandy.

The daughter of Haitian immigrants, Mrs. Love took 70.4 percent of the delegate vote, well in excess of the 60 percent required to avoid a primary runoff under Utah’s unique rules. She defeated former state legislator Carl Wimmer, who had been viewed as the heavy favorite. He mustered only 29.6 percent of the vote.

If Mrs. Love, 37, defeats her Democratic opponent, Rep. Jim Matheson, she will become the first black Republican woman to serve in the House.

Usually when I see "non-traditional' (code word for black or latino..haha) Republican candidates they tend to be way to the right. Powell being the exception that comes to mind. Herman Cain for example. Its like they have to prove they are not part of the rest of the group by being super conservative. Often scarier in ideology than most Republicans. The guy in Florida, can't recall his name. Justice Thomas as well.

Great for her if she can make history but I'm looking at ideology first and foremost. Color, ethnicity, religion, I could give a rat's ass about.

Booker is a good guy, but I suspect he is too much of a maverick for the national Dem Party to go for.

The Dem party have elected mavericks if not long shots. Obama was a maverick. He really had no friends in the party. The heirarchy were firmly Hillary Cliinton. He was a complete long shot. The Clintons were still very very powerful in the party. Clinton himself was a maverick of sorts when he ran. He was a centrist Dem at a time the party was farther left.

Carter was a complete long shot in '76. No one heard of him. Kennedy was the party favorite. His brother died in '68 fairly recently and JFK's assassination was remembered first hand by most folks. Carter won though because he came across as completely honest at a time the country was dealing with the after effects of Watergate.

I think if Booker runs for NJ governor and does a decent job he could get at the very least a VP nomination. He's a boy scout in terms of personal life from what I can tell so no scandals.