Prices of Desktop PCs in BKK

think_too_mut

First thing I would like to say is that I meant to say top end monitors like sony and nec, not top end sony nec monitors.

Given that, when I bought my machine mid last year, the prices were the same as if I bought my computer via the internet or computer show in the US.

Course, I only spent 44K baht. Didn't price Rambus as I was using DDR, and my 256 samsung was pretty cheap at 2000 baht.

Didn't look at HD's at 100 mb's or above. Bought my 40mb IBM GXP 2mb cache 7200rpm for 5150 baht.

Forgot what I paid for my GeForce.

As for the GeForce 4 card TI card (which is the next generation from when I bought my machine) you could probably find it at Panthip. I had to look high and low form my motherboard and I only found it in two shops, both out of the way places. At that point in time, the board was only out months ont he market. I combed the whole mall because it was going to be the centerpiece of my machine.

As to monitors, I went and got a Mag 19" 800V for 12750 baht. Not a Sony.

As for backing up my claim, I priced building computers three times over the past 2.5 years. I used internet prices as the basis for bargaining and have always gotten like prices in Panthip. Given that, I will say again I was not looking at Sony and NEC monitors, and I guess I'll add to that 100+mb hard drives, SCSI drives, USB peripherals. Pant pant.

That's just going by my experience. I'm not about to go shopping for you though because my outtings were extremely time consuming. Just finding my stupid motherboard took me four hours.

<<burp>>

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with EscapeRabbit. I've built several systems from components bought in the US and systems from components bought from Panthip. Always more expensive in Thailand.

Whenever I visit the States I always bring back components. Easier to find there and usually considerably cheaper.

Sorry if I can't quantify the difference.

But...

Recently bought an Acer 15" LCD monitor in Panthip for about baht 16,500. Also 1.8Ghz P4 for baht 8,500, which sounds like a good price.

I looked for hours trying to find a controller modem (Hardware, not a "Winmodem"), but no one had such a beast. I'll have to pick one up in the States.

Thailand USED to be more expensive for many things but I believe they have since removed many of the import duties levied on computer components.

Since many hard drives are manufactured in Thailand I would expect them to be the same price as in the states if not a bit cheaper.

Thailand USED to be more expensive for many things

It would be nice to do an apples to apples comparison. I've listed prices for a decent drive, monitor, memory, and video card based on US internet pricing. It would be very interesting to see someone post what the pantip prices are for these or other stuff. Otherwise, the next time I go to pantip, I'll try to do this. Right now, my perception is I get taken to the cleaners on hardware and can only really justify it by the savings in software...

As an apples to apples comparison:

the 2 things I mentioned in my previous post were bought within the past 2 weeks. A very quick Internet search, not thorough, showed that I could have saved at least 20% buying in the States. I have a couple of sources in the States where I can get stuff even cheaper than that, I'm sure.

I find that I pay a LOT more than the US if I want something that's a bit unusual. For example, I bought a Pinnacle DV Studio card (includes H/W and S/W) in the US for about $65. In Panthip, the cost was $200 at the 2-3 places I found it. That was about a year ago.

Same situation with a Hollywood Plus MPEG-2 decoder card. At least twice as expensive in Thailand and hard to find.

And the last hardware controller Modem I bought couldn't be found in Panthip. I ended buying it in Singapore because I couldn't wait for my next trip to the US.

Baron

In thinking about this i wonder if its really apples to apples comparison though. As i said before, here in the states there is often a large price difference between internet sources and a local retailer. The local retailer has a higher overhead cost but you can get it or take it back now. When you buy over the internet you can get the cheap prices and total availibility but you have to wait for it, and if there is a problem with the component you have to wait even longer for the replacement it can quickly become a hassle with shipping and such. Since i am a cheap charley i buy all my computer stuff off the net, mostly ebay, i go for the cheap prices. Anyway there are +s and -s about retail stores versus internet sources but they are different. Pantip is a local retail store type of vendor and its not apples to apples to compare them to internet sources in the states. I dont know how pantip would compare to a usa retail store, i would think that a bkk store would have lower overhead than the equivalent usa store but i dont know about the thailand tax/duty stuff. But the usa store has the internet as a competitor, unless somebody knows different i see no real competition for pantip stores, i mean for hardware. Unless there is some between themselves, i have no idea if the various stalls at pantip are connected or what. With international shipping and a 40% duty the internet isnt a very good option in thailand and ebay has no branch there (yet). So unless this fortune tower place or somewhere else i dont know about is better, it looks like its pantip prices or nothing. And thats if they have it.

For me the only component i insist upon is a plextor burner which i will carry over. Everything else i can be flexible and can live with 6 month to a year old technology. I suspect those two things are the key to lowest prices in thailand, whatever they may be.

The places I get the best prices from in the US are retailers, who do give some level of support. (Not a lot, but some.) I always can get a better price from a retailer in that particular group than on the Internet.

As for service from retailers in Panthip, I haven't gotten much service at all. About 2 years ago I had a new MoBo that was bad... recalled by the manufacturer, and the Panthip retailer didn't want to deal with it. I had to go through the main distributor for Thailand.

Maybe I chose a bad retailer, but the retailer I used does a lot of business so I would expect that if it were bad (relative to others), word would have gotten around. But the store is packed every time I've been in Panthip.

Apples to Apples??? Maybe that's debatable. Bottom line is that for the type of HW I buy, in Thailand, I pay more than I would if I were in the States.

Surprised to hear that you get cheaper prices from retailers here in the states, i assume you mean brick and mortar type retailers. My experience has been just the opposite, but i also sometimes have difficulty finding certain items locally, so my internet shopping isnt only for lower prices. Saves me from running all over town sometimes, thats one good thing about pantip, its all in one place.

But cant say i am surprised at lack of service from any company in los. Seems to be the norm, once they get your money they dont want to hear any of that stuff about the customer being king or service after the sale. Still, there has to be some advantage to buying anything in person, being able to see, touch, etc. And if you have problems it feels a lot better to yell at someone in person than long distance. Ha ha, probably safer long distance though.

Archived