Bangkok to Phuket (or other island) by train

Steve

I have a couple of friends. A young couple (non p4p), they want to spend a few days in Bangkok and then go to one of the islands, Phuket, etc. They said flying is a bit too expensive for their budget and wanted to know the costs of a train ride and then ferry.

They wanted to know if there is a first class car on the train with bed, a/c or fan and what the costs are as well as how long the ride is.

Also, anyone know if there is a ferry (I'd assume so) and how much?

Not proud to say but I'm a strictly Pattaya man and haven't ventured from that city on my visits. I really should get to other parts. Bad Steve...bad.

Hey Steve,

Getting to Phuket is a bitch by train.

Pretty much the only option is to get the train to Surat Thani (overnight train about 11 hours or so) and then a few hours bus ride from there.

No ferry to Phuket from BKK or connecting point on the train line.

There is first class (Private cabin) or second class (which is still beds, but everyone in the one carriage - this is actually a decent way to travel and very comfortable). First class is aircon and second class can be aircon or fan.

To be honest, the difference in cost between flying and train/bus isn't a huge amount. Particularly if they book early and fly on Air Asia or Nok Air.

With the train, they will need to buy food and drinks as well which will add to the cost of the journey - not much, but it all adds up.

Going to Phuket, flying really is the best option, and these days, it's CHEAP.

P.S. Not reflection on your friends, Steve, just a comment, but it always amazes me how people will spend thousands getting to the other side of the world, and then try to save $10 by spending 17 hours getting to somewhere when they could get there in one hour!!! :doah:

Guest lazyphil

on the other hand moo, the train is an event (only 8 hours), my dad, daughter and me took the train to surat thani (pun pin i think) then taxi to khao sok (2 hours max, amazing ride though!) in august, the day train at that, quite a beautiful trip at times. but agree if time is an issue, flying is cheap, we flew back to bkk from phuket with air asia, very cheap!

Yes - its only the "Sprinter Train" with airline-type seats that can do it in 8 hours. The sleeper train takes 11 or so overnight - if it's on time!

Also, for going to Koh Samui and Phuket I think the arrival in the late afternoon is too late for a decent connection to these places.

I love Khao Sok....34 visits I think I made there in my time - a real gem of Thailand. Actually, I think I sent you my pics when you were planning to go there from memory, Khun Phil?? :hmmm:

Guest lazyphil

yes you did khun moo, and it lived up to your rave reports.....wow 34 visits, tour guiding?......i'll go back for sure, sooooo beautiful.

we arrived at surat thani pretty much on time at 4pm, so i really think a private cab to phuket can be done before its too late but like you said once you've paid for the train ticket (800baht i think) then a 2000 baht taxi to phuket or there abouts, flying is cheaper....

Archived