Bangkok to Phuket (or other island) by train

Steve

http://www.seat61.com/ is very good for train info. And the overnight 1st class down to Surat is really pleasant. But when you arrive in the morning you are bussed off to some restaurant by a creek where you wait to be bussed off again to the ferry for Samui. Bit of a pain in the arse but not too bad. Personally I would skip Samui and head off to Koh Pangnan. But on a quiet side of the island. Not where the ferry arrives. It was like Tel Aviv last time I was there.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks guys. Time isn't a big issue. They know its going to be much slower and actually they are looking forward to the possibility of seeing a pretty Thai country side. They are a couple of 22 y.o. without much money. They are coming from Korea so the plane ride to LOS isn't too expensive.

They (and I as well) have no idea what the train costs were and asked me becuase I've been to Thailand a few times and thought I may know.

True, but getting to Chumphon usually means getting off the train at about 3.00am or so.

There is a sprinter train that reaches Chumpon around 5am, transportation is waiting to bring people to the boats. an other sprinter gets into chumpon around 1-2pm( leaving BKK Hualampon at 7.45is), not sure have boat then.

I took that sprinter train a few times and had a broken back, each to his own :shifty:

Train+Bus to Phuket

They aren't going to save any money over a cheap airfare.

If they want to experience the train, I suggest a trip to Ayutthaya.

I concur. Not much cheaper. But where I live in Farangland there are no trains. So a train ride is not a destination but a journey. If it is a daytime train trip - then one gets to view much of the countryside. Yes, there is a view from the aeroplane but at a slightly different angle.

But if this train trip is just to save money - it becomes a sizable waste of precious tourist time.

I took the aeroplane on my trips to Phuket. But a train trip might just be fun if with the right people. Sometimes I do like fun.

Archived