Visa run to Cambodia or Laos.. by train?

I love travel by train so I am biased.

The trip to Udon is good, I did the day time Udon - Bangkok in the first week of January, good trip.

Same train that goes onto or from Laos depending on your direction.

Highly recommend it, night time with your own room is far better than day time in terms of luxury, but a bit more boring.

Easy to book as well, switched hard drives so I don't have my old bookmarks, but Flash or Lazy Phil posted a good link somewhere

I'm too lazy to travel and am tied down with a sick pet right now anyway, but I used to take the trains quite regularly in the north. It's a fun way to travel! I made the trip to Udorn decades ago and don't remember much about it. Laos is well worth a visit though - quite a change from LOS. (Think of maybe LOS 50+ years ago.)

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

p.s. As NG says the ordinary coach (sleeper, Pullman in the US) is much better in the day time. You can buy food from the vendors who board the train at each stop. Only advantage to a private compartment is that the ticket collectors (conductors) don't like you to "team up" in the sleeper berths.

Note, however, that the train to Aranyaprathet is a very different beast than taking 2nd class (sleeper or otherwise) to Udon or Nong Khai...the Arany route is 3rd class only...no aircon, and hard seats. Oh it's cheap, mind you...last time I went, 48 baht one-way from BKK...

Oh, my ... those old park bench looking seats? That was 3rd class in the 1970s, but only on the "thammada" trains. The rapid and express already had lightly padded green seats.

I've experience those wooden seats on Thai trains, and I didn't start riding them until 1999...

Archived