Red Shirt rallies - cause for concern ?

gobbledonk

Why would thousands of red shirts in Khon Kaen surprise you ?

Khon Kaen is the home to the Pongpanich family. The son is the current PTP MP (having just been re-elected in the Dec 2010 by-election after being disqualified for non-disclosure of his PTT shares), his father is long time MP until he was banned from politics as a TRT executive and his mother an ex-senator.

The Pongpanich family runs Khon Kaen (and some areas in nearby provinces) and is one of the typical provincial strongmen families. They have an extensive network of canvassers and kamnan. Though not as high profile as some such as Newin and Sanoh, they control Khon Kaen and since they have bet the farm so to speak on Thaksin coming back, the area is a hotbed of UDD activity.

TH

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most Chinese have adopted a Thai name, though they may also have a Chinese business card with the Chinese name. The names they adopt tend to be long, since they are not allowed to use a name that already belongs to someone. Also, they often include "panich", "wanich", "pattana", "wattana" or something similar because - as you noticed - they are in commerce. The Patpong family is actually Patpongpanich.

The more prominent ones may use part of a royally bestowed name dating before the 1932 coup. Abhisit's great grandfather was awarded the family name Vejajiva when he was serving as a doctor in army medical department.

Why would thousands of red shirts in Khon Kaen surprise you ?

Khon Kaen is the home to the Pongpanich family. The son is the current PTP MP (having just been re-elected in the Dec 2010 by-election after being disqualified for non-disclosure of his PTT shares), his father is long time MP until he was banned from politics as a TRT executive and his mother an ex-senator.

The Pongpanich family runs Khon Kaen (and some areas in nearby provinces) and is one of the typical provincial strongmen families. They have an extensive network of canvassers and kamnan. Though not as high profile as some such as Newin and Sanoh, they control Khon Kaen and since they have bet the farm so to speak on Thaksin coming back, the area is a hotbed of UDD activity.

TH

I wasn't expecting a huge rally of thousands of Red Shirt on my way back to "the jungle" where we were staying...just the surprise of seeing so many late at night and being in BKK, then suddenly seeing all the Red Shirts...in BKK, I had forgotten about them pretty much :dunno:

I'd be happier with less knowledge and more money. :(

OK, I'm lodging an entry for you in next Thursdays Powerball:

http://www.goldencasket.com/powerball/

20,000,000.00 AUD = 609,888,739.83 THB

If we win, its 50:50, OK ? Oh, alright - 60:40. You really drive a hard bargain, Flash. You can spend the next 6 days deciding what you want to do with your 400 million baht.

Archived