Sudarat: Yingluck could soothe political conflict

Coss

Yingluck Shinawatra, younger sister of former prime minister Thaksin, has the potential to cool down political conflict and is well suited to lead the Puea Thai Party, according to former Thai Rak Thai executive Sudarat Keyuraphan.

"The next prime minister should have the qualities of being a person who is willing to sacrifice oneself to bring about reconciliation, can talk to all sides, and has knowledge about economics," she said.

Yingluck Shinawatra

Khunying Sudarat said she did not want to comment on whether Puea Thai Party list MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan or Ms Yingluck would be the best candidate for prime minister.

"Both of them are suitably qualified, but I believe Ms Yingluck would be able to change the political battlefield, to bring reconciliation.

"We'll have to wait and see who Puea Thai members select," she said.

Meanwhile, Puea Thai list MP Apiwan Wiriyachai, a deputy house speaker, declared the resignation of Chalerm Yubamrung as a Puea Thai list MP would only further strengthen the party. Mr Chalerm was chairman of Puea Thai MPs.

Col Apiwan said Mr Chalerm's decision to step down did not stem from conflict within the opposition party.

"No matter who leaves or enters the party, Puea Thai will still move forward.

"I'm confident that Mr Chalerm's resignation will not affect the performance of Puea Thai MPs and the coming general election," he said.

The MP for Nonthaburi province said he respected Mr Chalerm as a person and respected his decision to resign his House seat.

"There are many members in Puea Thai who are suitable candidates for prime minister, such as Mr Mingkwan Saengsuwan, Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and Ms Yingluck Shinawatra," he said.

Col Apiwan said he, himself, had turned down the position.

"I don't expect any political incidents or a military coup before the House dissolution because I believe the armed forces know that the world does not accept a coup as a democratic solution," he added.

Chalerm Yubamrung

Puea Thai MP for Lop Buri province Suchart Lainamngern said Mr Chalerm's resignation would not hold back the party since he remains a Puea Thai member.

"Mr Chalerm will likely continue working with Puea Thai, since he himself said he wants to help the party campaign for the election.

"It is not likely that Mr Chalerm wants to negotiate to gain benefits as rumoured, but he might be feeling belittled," Mr Suchart said.

All Puea Thai members still supported Mr Chalerm, because he was successful in past election campaigns, he said.

The MP, responding to criticism that there was no clear leadership in Puea Thai, said the party still has a leader, Yongyuth Wichaidit.

Link

Archived