The Cheapest Cheap Charlie - An Urban Legend

zanemay

An Urban Legend is Born

A man walks into a bar.... No, no! Don't close the window. This one is true!

A man walks into a bar in Pattaya. He is a regular here and already known for his ability to sip a glass of soda water for hours. Believe me, bar owners mark these guys, but this day a new standard will be set!

It is this fellow's habit to nurse a bottle of soda water, but in the most recent issue of the Pattaya Mail newspaper, which he no doubt found or borrowed somewhere, he came across an article that said the tap water in Pattaya has been improved and improved and it was now finally fit to drink. Always thinking, the fellow orders a glass of tap water, and since his soda was always served with lime, he proposes that he would like a glass of tap water with a slice of lime. He suggests the fair price should be 5 baht to pay for the lime!!

I think this might be unbelievable except, coming from Pattaya, and we all know some of the underfunded wierdos that end up here, or normal guys that come here and then turn into underfunded wierdos...anyway, coming from Pattaya, we all know it is real.

I know I am Mr. Fight-For-Your-Baht and a Cheap Charlie in my own right, but this guy has gone over the top and around the corner. Kind of heroically pathetic.

I thought maybe we could use this story to start a collection. Anyone have another?

This drunk walks into a bar... OUCH!

(probably not what you had in mind).

I will go so far as to say that living in Thailand is certainly a lot more expensive than I had imagined it would be, and I consider myself quite artful at minimizing expenses (but my wife has yet to learn). Live and learn...and learn...and learn...

RickF

everything thai made seems pretty cheap to me, but many western products are more expensive than home - same same everywhere I guess - home the singha's or corona's are the dearest beers, while our local brew cost less in the shops than the cheapest thai beer in 7/11 (only 10B actually for 33cl)

anyways what's the cheapest drink one can get in the one & only cheap charlies bar on suk soi 11, bkk these days?

finally 5B I think would be ok for this tap water on the rocks with a twist in a soi diamond gogo bar, but at a barbeer in soi buakow/diana area I wouldn't pay more than 3B!

" Hmm.. How about getting your tgf to pay for things? "

If she's a BG that's the least she can do to compensate the annoyance to have her along while shopping.I've decided to stop going around with BGs unless I get broke again

I have a notoriously cheap friend who once made a cup of coffee last for 3 or 4 hours in the Superstar bar on Patpong. Odd -- or not so odd -- thing is ... the guy has a hell of a lot more money than I do. He'd probably never have to work again in his life, if he didn't want to. Yet he's just heap by nature.

"I have a notoriously cheap friend who once made a cup of coffee last for 3 or 4 hours in the Superstar bar on Patpong. Odd -- or not so odd -- thing is ... the guy has a hell of a lot more money than I do. He'd probably never have to work again in his life, if he didn't want to. Yet he's just heap by nature."

I am sure he had a lot of fun:)

Archived