Dream turned into nightmare

jp1

Koh Samui police is famous for being just another mafia. This is not always bound to be such an ordeal, in other parts of the country.

note: I meet so many farangs who live in Thailand, and insist they will never learn thai, live on the land seemingly happily, but actually like "a hair on the soup", open to all kind of behaviour they are always falling victim to. If you plan to retire or stay in LOS, learn the language and stop dreaming , this is a 3rd world country, not paradise.

Guest lazyphil

You honestly think los is 3rd world?, I don't want to start splitting hairs here, poverty/development of any given country is relative to your own experience back home

But to lump Thailand with such countries as lets say for example Bolivia, Bangladesh or Somalia is laughable.

But yes I agree to stay any length of time in los you'd need to leard the language....right now no chance of me settling there....which makes me feel pissed off!!!

I was being cynical... Still I wouldn't want to live here. What rights does a farang have in LOS? Sure, you're welcome to pay taxes, be ripped off whenever you come in contact with the law, pay X times what thai pays for everything and to compensate you for all this... you have the right of not to own land blush.gif

Well, this is my accident story. A couple of years ago I was driving a jeep around the traffic circle in Phuket Town when I ran into a motorbike ridden by a woman with a small child on the back seat. The woman got a bad cut on her instep but the child seemed to be unhurt.

After a 24 hour investigation the Phuket Town Police determined that the motorbike had cut me off and that the injured woman was at fault and had caused the accident. I was asked if I wanted her family to pay for any damages to the jeep. Of course, I didn't want any money and signed a claims release at the police station. I was somewhat surprised at the outcome of the investigation as I thought for sure I would be held to blame.

Yes, Thailand is full of surprises.

I am afraid Samui is bad. It is the island culture that not only affects farangs but off Islanders as well.

However the real point about all these posts is insurance. If you have the top level of insurance, or hire from a big company (Budget etc.) when you have an accident you say nothing and the insurance company turn up and sort out the problems. You are specifically advised to do/say nothing until the insurance rep arrives. I have talked to many people who live here and they say this knid of insurnce is a must. Similarly I will not hire cheap cars, I always go to big company. It costs more..........in the short term!.......but it is good for peace of mind!

Archived