Hiding naughty photos on my computer?

anyone know of any good software that will allow me to password protect folders in Windows XP - so as to prevent people from seeing my holiday pics?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Hansum,

As the other posters point out, lots of options and here's my suggestion. Take a look at this encryption program, using very strong encryption and it has a nifty stealth name option which automatically renames files and file types so photo1.jpg might be remaned to 'hshfsdgs' after encryption thereby hiding the picture and details of what file type it is.

http://members.tripod.com/markus_hahn/software.html

"I believe that the NTFS file system either is or can be set up as a encrypting file system. This means that to read your files on NTFS one has to log in as you. "

I agree that this is the fastest, easiest way of doing it, if your drive is NTFS. Don't need any other programs, don't need to go thru any pain-in-the-ass process to get to your stuff when you want to. Just log onto your machine and you have access. The files are encrypted/decrypted on-the-fly, requiring no special effort by you. But be careful about how you set up permissions on your machine, if you share it with anyone.

Also, bear in mind that the file is encrypted (cannot be opened by others), but it is still *visible* to others. So a file named "Debbie_Does_Pattaya.jpg" might be a tip-off as to its contents. But you can also hide it, on the same dialog where you encrypt it.

See: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/encrypt_overview.asp

I don't have anyone to hide things from myself, my only roomies are all single males. But I heard that it is possible

(probably too much work?) to segment your hard drive soe that you end up with a portion that can only then be acessed as a seperate drive? And linking to that segment of the drive could further be hiden ?

E4M used to be available as freeware, likewise scramdisk. Both these programs created a 'mountable' drive, protected by a password. The latter wouldn't work with NT or 2000.

Both products seemed to have merged into a commercial product call drivecrypt. I still have the program files for EM4. If you are interested, I could mail them (only about 600K unzipped)

Probably doable but rather unsafe if the data is unencrypted as many people with basic computer knowledge could find it.

Another possibillity worth mentioning is the commercial "Stealth" encryptor. This program can encrypt a file and hide it in another picture. Even if someone gets suspicious about your large collection of flower pictures they need the decryption key to unlock the files.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived