What, no statue for Chocolate Steve?

allistar

It seems that Auburn officials think its a great idea to include Cam Newton on the list of former students (that just happen to be made up of Heisman Trophy winners) that should have statues of them on campus. Just because Cam attended Auburn for only one year and is still under NCAA investigation shouldn't deter from his immortality. http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/05/12/auburn-makes-rash-decision-in-wanting-cam-newton-statue/

• 2 weeks later...

My statue would be of a guy sneaking out of the girls dorm. :nahnah:

I'm all for it but I'm immensely biased. The whole SEC is dirty as far as sports. Back in my day I heard there was an unsaid, unwritten rule that you got away with what you could and you didn't tell on another school.

There was an old boys netowrk. The coaches knew each other and some attended each others schools. In my day, Auburn coach Pat Dey was a Univ. of Georgia grad and Vince Dooley, the coach at Georgia was an Auburn grad. Steve Spurrier, when he was Florida, was hated because he wouldn't abide by the old boy network and would tell the NCAA about schools.

In my day, it was almost always a disgruntled player or former assistant coach that told the NCAA about your school. Nowadays they tell on each other because the coaches are no longer from the old boys network as much.

Cam got paid in all likelihood but as an Auburn grad he brought us a national championship. We havent' had one for a long, long time so I don't care how he came to us. Not right, I know and I don't blame anyone for saying we're a dirty program because of it. Winnng the BCS title was almost as if Arsenal had won it. I heard from a lot of people I hadn't seen in years from my school days there. It was like a FB and email reunion of sorts.

Archived