Why Thailand’s sexpat community hates Thaksin Shinawatra

ThaiHome

That was your honest impression? Really? I thought the article was petty sniping at it's best. Reading the title I was hoping for something remotely provocative that would stir people up. Pffft.

The article was sniping, but that aspect didn't bother me. I thought the author's argument was stupid. The author is arguing that most ex-pats, meaning, for him, sex-pats, don't like Thaksin because they didn't like the new social order policies that Purachai imposed on Thailand and, I suppose, more stringent immigration and visa policies.

I think it's silly argument for several reasons.

First, Thaksin and Purachai didn't get along and parted company long ago, so equating the two seems strange. I think most "sex-pats" understand that Thaksin does NOT equal Purachai. Purachai left long before Thaksin was ousted in a coup. He's running now independent of Thaksin.

Second, a return of Thaksin does not mean a return of Purachai's policies. I think most ex-pats understand that Thaksin is not about new policies of any kind. Thaksin wants to return to power and recover his wealth and he is willing to adopt any policy that will achieve these objectives. Indeed, the one thing that is missing in this election is discussion of policies by either side.

Third, Thaksin and Purachai did some truly horrible things that had nothing to do with the new social order. For example, the extra judicial killing of 2,000+ alleged drug dealers in a three month period. That had nothing or little to do with most sex-pats, but it provided ample reason to despise both men.

Since I think the argument that sex-pats don't like Thaksin because of the new social order policies is such an obviously simplistic and, well, moronic, stupid argument, I saw nothing to get riled up.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purachai has contempt for the law! Remember his raiding discoes and nightclubs, having police seal off the entrances, and then forcing everyone - foreigners included - to pass a urine test before they could leave? I believe Purachai is responsible for the silly liquor sales hours we still have to put up with. I remember walking into a mini-Tesco (I think it was) and seeing a notice in Thai and English that "by order of the Revolutionary Council" sales of alcohol are banned except between blah blah blah. My immediate reaction was - "Ommagawd, has there been a coup and I didn't hear about it?" Well, no .. Purachai had dredged up a proclamation from a coup in the 1970s and decided to enforce it. When it was pointed out the courts had already ruled that proclamations of past coups had no legal standing whatsoever, the signs vanished and were replaced by the current "According to the police ..." As far as I know, there is NO LAW behind the liquor sales hours. Purachai simply decided it was a good idea and did so. Who needs laws anyway. This is LOS. :dunno:

Purachai had dredged up a proclamation from a coup in the 1970s and decided to enforce it. When it was pointed out the courts had already ruled that proclamations of past coups had no legal standing whatsoever, the signs vanished and were replaced by the current "According to the police ..." As far as I know, there is NO LAW behind the liquor sales hours. Purachai simply decided it was a good idea and did so. Who needs laws anyway. This is LOS.

Now this is interesting and warrants further research. Perhaps this is why certain grocery stores ignore this "law".

I'm presuming it was Purachai. Who else would do such a thing? It happened about the time he was doing his 2am crackdowns, raiding nightclubs and arresting musicians etc. Carabao even wrote a song called "Purachai Crackdown" about how he was putting musicians and singers out of work. And he really did. I've ridden several times with a taxi driver who says he was a singer and musician in nightclubs before Purachai. Thanks to the crackdown, clubs turned into karaokes, where they needed only one musician and a machine.

I remember very well the "revolutionary council" proclamation. Read what it says now and tell me what law it cites - none. Just "by order of the police".

That was your honest impression? Really? I thought the article was petty sniping at it's best. Reading the title I was hoping for something remotely provocative that would stir people up. Pffft.

The article was sniping, but that aspect didn't bother me. I thought the author's argument was stupid. The author is arguing that most ex-pats, meaning, for him, sex-pats, don't like Thaksin because they didn't like the new social order policies that Purachai imposed on Thailand and, I suppose, more stringent immigration and visa policies.

I think it's silly argument for several reasons.

First, Thaksin and Purachai didn't get along and parted company long ago, so equating the two seems strange. I think most "sex-pats" understand that Thaksin does NOT equal Purachai. Purachai left long before Thaksin was ousted in a coup. He's running now independent of Thaksin.

Second, a return of Thaksin does not mean a return of Purachai's policies. I think most ex-pats understand that Thaksin is not about new policies of any kind. Thaksin wants to return to power and recover his wealth and he is willing to adopt any policy that will achieve these objectives. Indeed, the one thing that is missing in this election is discussion of policies by either side.

Third, Thaksin and Purachai did some truly horrible things that had nothing to do with the new social order. For example, [color:red]the extra judicial killing of 2,000+ alleged drug dealers in a three month period.[/color] That had nothing or little to do with most sex-pats, but it provided ample reason to despise both men.

Since I think the argument that sex-pats don't like Thaksin because of the new social order policies is such an obviously simplistic and, well, moronic, stupid argument, I saw nothing to get riled up.

I actually saw some Thais go into a frenzy each time a new war on drugs began because they thought they were going to get murdered. Those were sick times.

The Thaksin clone has given her first speech in Chiang Mai (in Kham Muang, how sweet). She promises to end poverty in 12 months and BRING BACK THE DRUG WARS. The Phuea Thaksin's platform also consists of giving Takky complete manesty (I thunk the King was supposed to do that) and restoring all of his money to him. And the prats are eating it up! Of course, it is Takky's home town. :hmmm:

It was sick. I knew a BG who lost her brother. He was in early 20s and certainly wasn't a major dealer. I am certain her family remembers well what happened.

No big dealers were killed. It was the little guys on the street who got whacked, along with lots of folks whose enemies took the opportunity to get rid of them.

Guest HonoluluJimmy

lese majest at it worst.... I wonder if the board has been reported... Better an avi in shclong huggers and a little bow tie????

Archived