Dongle Issues

gawguy

I got your responses to use phone for internet, but I don't have a smart phone. I do have a stupid dongle. (I've resolved the won't disconnect problem)

At the moment using DTAC Internet SIM. Maybe I should change that?

Besides slow as buffalo shit for lack of real 3G in Pattaya...

Sometimes it works okay, but then It stops anytime it wants. Especially when I try to open a new tab.

Sometimes the Network Connections box pops up with "Connect DTAC" and gags right there. Other times it connects fine.

Software came with dongle and it starts up automatically. I noticed that I didn't have to actually click "connect" in it to be connected - it just runs thru Network Connections I guess.

Can anyone sort any of this confusion. It works sometimes, doesn't work sometimes, works and quits. No one uses anything this half-arsed except me?

Thanks Lads,

Gaw Guy

I use a dongle here in the UK and I noticed that reception varied depending on location in the house.Moving to a different room improved the signal strength.I put this down to the large building next door blocking reception.Maybe if you changed location it might improve :dunno:

I use a dongle here in the UK and I noticed that reception varied depending on location in the house.Moving to a different room improved the signal strength.I put this down to the large building next door blocking reception.Maybe if you changed location it might improve :dunno:

Thanks...basically I'm in a one-room "condo", in the tallest building in immediate area, near the patio door. I'm about as obstruction-free as I can get.

ONE THING TO ADD TO ORIGINAL POST:

I just came out of standby mode after dongle was working / internet was working. As happened before, green light came on dongle, Network Connections indicated I was connected, but no website would connect. If I reboot the computer, like I just did, it works fine. Why? Can I check something else in the connections settings to look for the problem?

GG

If you are in Pattaya consider True Move as they are the biggest provider of wireless 3G at moment there. DTAC unfortunately screwed by government todate so only on EDGE speeds (slow).

I'm running on TrueMove now and it may be a little faster. (The XP Network Connection says 3.6mbps but no way!)

Last night things were working fine then STOPPED connecting and I had to go internet shop. I don't friggin get it! Works fine now...I don't friggin get it!

Thanks,

GG

Can someone tell me what a dongle is?

Dongle is a USB modem that has a phone SIM card and connects to internet via mobile phone networks like DTAC or True.

I tried to send this from my room yesterday with dongle, but would not send. Wrote it, hit post, everything stopped.

Dongle working worse and worse. Something in my computer I think.

Archived