'Good woman of Bangkok' 20 years on

gobbledonk

I dont know about anyone else, but knowing that this was filmed in 91 freaks me right out, and I havent been visiting LOS for anywhere near as long as many here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/thegoodwomanofbangkoknrhinson_a0a76f.htm

Like many docos, it hasnt aged well, and I have to agree with the reviewer above. Still, he got his doco and she got her rice farm : win-win, I guess.

Twenty freaking years. Time to find a rope and a stout tree. ;)

I thought that was one of the more honest films about Bangkok. But you have to allow for a certain amount of license. When you make a movie, even a doco, or write a book it is sometimes necessary to exaggerate things to make it more entertaining and give it more impact. 'Real' life can be pretty dull.

Agreed. But not just "even a doco," I would say "especially a doco"...just as much invention/staging/manipulation of "facts" goes on in those as any feature film...

you only have to know a little about filming/videotaping to start to realize how carefully many shots/situations that are passed off as "caught live on film/tape" were actually very carefully setup/rehearsed...

Right. Short of the Warhol approach i.e. pointing a camera at something and leaving it on, there is no such thing as total objectivity in cinema. Or any media come to that. Even the choice of subject matter says a lot.

As for the movie....the guy was in love with a whore, she told him he was a fool. He was trying to understand his own self-delusion.

As for the movie....the guy was in love with a whore, she told him he was a fool. He was trying to understand his own self-delusion.

He went to Thailand on the rebound from a divorce, intent on getting laid 5 times a day, and ended up getting more than he bargained for. In her defence, she did TRY to tell him, as you point out, that it wouldnt change diddly, but I'm not in a position to judge him. Some of the dipshit Farang he interviews in the film really make me cringe - its almost as if he wanted to find the most stereotypical guys possible - but I guess thats easy to say when you've never had to see yourself drunk on film.

Archived