What if Pheu Thai Wins?

Gadfly

Kamui - Thanks the report was interesting. As I read it, two things stand out.

First, although PT's 'policies' or lack thereof are a concern, the main concern is political instability, such as riots and civil war, rather than PT's policies themselves

A Puea Thai win ould mean the return of [ex-prime minister] Thaksin [shinawatra], which may lead to political chaos.â€â€‚

Second, the market is already making adjustments for this. No mass exedous, but rather investments that are not made (which we don't hear about) or smaller investments that would have otherwise been made.

I agree that foreign visitors will not be affected right away, unless there is a military intervention, in which case it could get really nasty. But, on a ligther note, look for great hotel deals when the dust settles. Last year some hotels were offering tremendous discounts in the immediate aftermath of the riots.

Purachai? Thaksin marginalized him before and I suspect he will do so again. Unlike Purachai, Thaksin is not a moralist; he's an crafty and unscrupulous opportunist. And what I really don't understand is why - knowing this about Thaksin - why the Democrats and Army gave him this opportunity.

They had two years to show they were a viable alternative. They failed to do so.

They had two years to highlight, in a transparent fashion, Thaksin's crimes. The Drug Wars. They failed to do so and undermined their own credibility by committing serious human rights blunders of their own.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived