Dream World

itsmedave

I've been to Dream World.

Went about a year ago. The price wasn't too bad but if your into scary white knuckle rides, don't bother going.

If you take a girlfriend there's a few photo opportunities but that is really about it.

I hope I've been of help.

If you go - enjoy.

The reason to go is so whoever you take has a good time. It is not very exciting or high level from a western perspective, but Thais love it. It's a great place to score brownie points with your Thai girl in tow or just Thai friends.

I can't recall pricing but it is reasonable (meaning relatively cheap - under 300 to 350B a person). There is some variation based on how much or how little you want to see or do. You are given a card which contains rides and access to things. As you enter an exhibit, they cross off the ticket for that ride. If you don't want to go on a ride, then your friend can use yours. One thing that I recall, it is not like disneyland or disneyworld where there is one admission price for unlimited access/use. But it also doesn't cost the same. You basically get what you pay for. A lot of food places too but the quality of the food isn't as good as what you can access here off the street. So expect to eat there. A previous poster is correct about photo opportunities (silly cartoon characters walking around and other stationary statues)of which the Thais love.

I would recommend it but only if you go with a group of Thai people (hopefully Thai women). Just remember to take off your Western perspectives and standards and then you will have a good time.

Respecfully,

Cardinalblue

As noted, there are different price schemes - generally best to let the girl buy all the tickets at Thai prices. They have a one size fits all ticket but it does not include the odd special like the go-karts (a lot of fun and not nearly as scary as the Pattaya ones) and Snowtown - great for the Thais. You have to wear a big coat and boots and you can slide down this huge hill on a sack. Due to the marked contrast between the temperatures outside and inside, I believe this was the first time I have ever had my hair frozen!

Lots of nice, gentle rides on land and water, and a chairlift, plus one of those water splash things and a new one whose name I can't remember but which has definitely upped the thrill factor. Kept my students going for ages and they can be quite cynical.

There is also a rather deceptive attraction which from the outside looks like an anti-gravity room, lots of happy smiling kids floating around, but is actually one of those roller-coasters-in-pitch-darkness which scared the shit out of me and left my son traumatised! In fairness, the guard did try to advise us against it but I thought it was just a disagreement over the height limit and insisted we go in, in an uncharming farang-style way. I apologised to the guard afterwards even though he was laughing at the state I was in!!

A very nice day out really, as long as your expectations aren't based on Western experiences.

LG

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

I forgot to mention that there is a fairly comprehensive brochure available. I got mine at Asia German Travel on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit but any decent travel outfit should have.

I went with a bunch of adults (or so-called) so I really wasn't paying much attention to what's available for young children if that is your focus. I remember seeing a lot of teenagers and young adults running around. I got the feeling it was trying to appeal to a wide range of ages, i.e. the whole family.

Cardinalblue

Long Gun,

I know the ride you mean..it has some space themed name that escapes me. Gave me a fright too, mainly because I was expecting something a bit softer. Good fun.

The go-carts are great, though a tad expensive. You pay at the track - 100 baht for a 5 minute session..not long enough. But if you go with some mates and choose a not so busy time then they will let you take it for 25 minutes (with the extra cost of course) and host your own mini grand-prix. Quite a laugh and great fun.

As for the rest of the place, it has a deserted kind of run-down-amusement-park-that-time-forgot feel about it.

Big tip gets Thai to buy tickets a lot cheaper than falung price. Great day out and ride are fee as long as you use the book u get for price of entry. I took 3 BG’s there and had great time they bought tickets and told me of the price difference so do the same and take it for what it is FUN O and very big brownie points LOL wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Archived