Singha boosts forecast on beer sales growth

Coss

Drink

Singha Corp is more optimistic about growth of its beer sales this year, now predicting a 5 percent gain, up from the 3 per cent it forecast previously.

"The overall beer market, worth more than Bt100 billion, is expected to be positive this year because of the coming election, which will result in better cash flow in the market," marketing director Chatchai Wiratyosin said. "Without any surprising incidents after the election, I believe the overall economy and the beer industry will be quite positive."

Chatchai said the company achieved 2 percent growth in beer sales last year, which was in line with the growth of the overall Thai beer industry.

"We expect to increase our market share from 64 per cent currently to 65 per cent by the end of this year," he said.

He added that Thai Beverage's Chang beer, its closest competitor, posted a market share of 31 per cent.

"The local beer market, however, has been pressured by the government's strict regulations and ban on advertising."

Chatchai said the overall beer marฌket achieved nearly Bt50 billion in total sales in the first five months of this year.

Singha Corp yesterday held a oneday event at CentralWorld to celebrate Manchester United's success last seaฌson in claiming a record 19th Football League title to become the most successful club in English soccer.

"We invited [Rio] Ferdinand, the world's most expensive defender, to the country as the club's representative to thank Thai fans for the strong support they have always given to the team as well as offering them a chance to join in title celebrations," Chatchai said.

"The Thailand visit is part of Manchester United's Asian Trophy Tour by its stars Ferdinand, Patrice Evra and Park Ji Sung, who will make separate visits to particular markets in Asia to meet and greet the club's fans.

"As United's global partner, we want to tighten the ties between the club and local fans, who play a crucial part in taking Manchester United to a record 19th league title," he said.

Chatchai said that at the oneday event, about 200 Thai fans would have the chance to meet Ferdinand on a first come, first served basis.

Sure. All that, and because Sing is a huge monopoly as well trying its damnedest to keep others out of the market. If they played fair they'd lose market for sure to import brands. Plenty of ASEAN country brews that could compete for a piece of the marketplace. Sing has done whatever they could to delay the ASEAN agreements for fair trade. The only ones fighting back from ASEAN I have seen have been the Philippines San Mig brewers and their tobacco/cig companies. Many decent Phil cigs getting through now to the market at less than 30 baht a pack. The price of beer would go down as well if the competition was fair and equal. And there would be better choice in beer, and better taste as well with those choices!

Singha managed for years to keep Beer Lao out of the country. Even now it is hard to find - and it is far better than any Thai beer. (It is made by German brewmasters hired by the PDR Lao.)

Ever heard of the Singha mafia? When Chang started cutting into Singha's near monopoly, Boonrawd Brewery decided that any restaurant or cafe that bought Chang would not be allowed to by from Singha. You may even have run into that at your place.

There are lots of good and interesting beers in the southeast asian countries that are part of ASEAN. All these beers should/could be easily available in Thailand. No one is importing most of these. I'd love to be able to have a selection of beers from around the area. The Thais are very nationalistic, and most will drink only Thai brands (though the 'hi-so' can be seen drinking Heineken frequently).

Here's a few beers from the area I would love to be able to drink and sell at my place in Surin. I know many of the farangs would love to have some variety in their quaffing choices.

burmabeer.jpg

bintangvietbeer.jpg

Beer-Malaysia.jpg

beerviet.jpg

balibeers.jpg

And here are some more. Vietnam, Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. Many choices we could have here to quench the thirst with some interesting imported asian beers.

bar_viet_beer.jpg

beer33viet.jpg

beerangkor_bottles.jpg

beerbintang-beer.jpg

beersanmig.jpg

Some SEA import beers are available. The San Migs, regular and light are here. Red Horse is here, but it is a cheap brand and not very tasty, though different than the Thai stuff at least and a bit more flavorful. We can get beer Lao here, but it is expensive, and only the regular, not the dark is available.

I used to buy Asahi here in Bangkok. Haven't seen it for some time though. I thought San Miguel was brewed locally. And what happened to the Black Tiger or whatever, a fairly successful attempt to copy an English ale? I suppose the Thais didn't know what to make of it. Guiness was brewed here in the '80s, but didn't catch on either.

Back in the 1980s I was at Sillypakorn University and went to the market at Wat Mahathat every Wan Pra or weekend. I could buy everything from the airlines. Whatever was left over when planes landed at Don Muang got "liberated" to sell at Wat Mahathat. I used to load up on cheese and even German or French wine. I bought beer from all over the world - Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa. A few times I found complete packaged Indian meals from Air India, which was always nice for a change. Olives too ... at 20 baht for a big jar! Great place for the latest foreign newspapers and magazines.

When I came back after having been away for some years, I made a beeline to Wat Mahathat. Market now no hab! WTF? It seems some abbott decided he didn't like the market and kicked it out, the silly prat. That was a major disappointment. I'm told you can still find food and beverages from the airlines at Jatujak market, but at nowhere near the old prices. :(

Archived