Koh Phangan beat-up ...

gobbledonk

Guest lazyphil

true. the guy was a lunatic, had a wild look about him, sh*t me up to be honest....but no harm done down to my cool survival skills, aka running away lol

the most memorable scene i remember was years and years ago at the nana. some idiot farang wouldn't let go of the arm of some chick in a bar. the girl screamed, the mama-san screamed and this was loud enough to hear over the music in the bar; the music stops, the lights come on and the guy still won't let go. four skinny thai guys, each weighing maybe 120/130 pounds come into the bar and surround the guy. the guy still won't let go; the thai guys start swinging; story over in about 4 seconds.

I never cease to be amazed at the things some Farang think they can get away with in someone else's country, and I'm particularly ashamed when some of these halfwits carry the same crest on the front of their passports. Nothing like taking on the whole 'village' to really put the fun back into a holiday.

four skinny thai guys, each weighing maybe 120/130 pounds come into the bar and surround the guy. the guy still won't let go; the thai guys start swinging; story over in about 4 seconds.

What some may not realize is that only ONE of the Thai guys might've been enough. Some of the "security" dudes are often fairly accomplished in martial arts and/or muay thai. For instance, a security guy at the no-name-bar is a muay thai fighter...and I saw a trophy he brought to the bar late one night. All it cost him was a butterfly bandage above one eye and a swollen forehead. But he was all smiles. Not a guy I'd be anxious to mess with, for sure.

HH

Muay Thai IS a martial art - if anything, more so than many of the 'non contact' variety. They might have rings/rules etc, but I have no trouble imagining people using the same techniques 'for keeps', past and present - for all the discipline and etiquette instilled in them, its a warrior ethos under it all.

I'm not going to get into the old argument about what is the 'best' martial art, but I far prefer watching a good Muay Thai bout to any of the UFC/MMA 'cage-fight' spectacles that have become popular of late.

What some may not realize is that only ONE of the Thai guys might've been enough. Some of the "security" dudes are often fairly accomplished in martial arts and/or muay thai. For instance, a security guy at the no-name-bar is a muay thai fighter...and I saw a trophy he brought to the bar late one night. All it cost him was a butterfly bandage above one eye and a swollen forehead. But he was all smiles. Not a guy I'd be anxious to mess with, for sure.

HH

there's NO doubt that you're absolutely right. when i watch those guys fight or train, i'm just amazed at how tough they are! they tend to be small in size and weight but they're frickin tough as nails!

oh, on a side note, last year when my buddy and i were drinking at 5 star (cowboy), some chick was stoned or drunk and was being a real pain in the ass to everyone; don't know who the guy was but he just grabbed her by the hair (no, not the hair under her shorts!) and dragged her upstairs!

Archived