Swedish anyone?

I need to know the correct way to write/spell oil, gas (petrol) and water. This would be the automotive terms (as opposed to cooking oil or drinking water). I am not sure if they are different but it seems that they may be. Umlauts, accents or those letters in Swedish that look like two letters put together (like the A and E) needed also, if that applies. Thanks.

Hi,

oil = olja (or motorolja = motor oil, matolja for cooking, but oil is enough)

gas (petrol) = bensin

water = "vatten till batteri" or "destillerat vatten"

Swedish don't use umlauts in the German way two dots on a and o, instead they use the extra letters ä and ö; å is also a letter. (In Danish æ, ø and å - in names often used the old "aa" instead)

elef

Hi!

I have never seen the letter 'Ã¥' in Danish or Norvegian text, only the double a. Perhaps some Dane could comment on that.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. When I read emails from Sweden in Thailand the Swedish letters show up like something else so maybe your post won't look right there. Wouldn't affect the translations though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Elef for your prompt reply. I developed some internet connection problems so I apologize for the delayed thanks. Your reply mostly made sense to me but, just so I am sure, here is some additional info. The names that I was talking about are what would appear on a can that you would keep in your car i.e. water for the radiator, oil for the motor and gasoline (petrol). My father has purchased an old Volvo and might display it at some local car shows. He asked me about these spellings because he would be required to have these cans on display with the car. Does this make sense? Would this change your previous answer? Also, you confused me with your response regarding umlauts. You said they were not used like they are in German but they looked exactly the same when they appeared in my email. When I see them on nanplaza however, they appear as Thai characters. Am I not receiving them properly in my email? Not that important, just curious. Oh, and I am sorry for mentioning the Danish letters as being Swedish. I actually know better but was just using that as an example, meaning any of the other characters in Swedish that don't appear in the English alphabet. I certainly don't want to start any nationalistic arguments here. smile.gif Thanks again.

[color:orange]Re: "When I see them on nanplaza however, they appear as Thai characters. Am I not receiving them properly in my email? Not that important, just curious."color=orange>

If you are using Internet Explorer, right click on any part of the webpage you are viewing and a pop up menu will appear. Left click [color:red]Encodingcolor=red> and choose an option such as [color:red]Western Europeancolor=red> rather than Thai. The page will then reload with the Swedish characters correctly displayed.

Netscape also has a similar function. You can also change the encoding when viewing emails in Outlook Express.

cool.gif

Archived