Why "change Your Passwords Frequently" ?

gawguy

I am aware that there are millions of hackers, armies of organized hackers out there working 24/7.

I was thinking about changing some p/w's, but then it seems to me that when one is logged onto a site and in the process of making the change, confirming identity by putting in answers to security questions in order to change p/w's... It seems that at that time you are most vulnerable to having your information picked.

1) I use a p/w program so I never type in p/w's.

2) I have the longest / strongest p/w's sites will allow. (I'm rather disappointed that a few sites don't allow strong enough p/w's - some don't allow enough length, some don't allow a variety of characters. Those are just a few.)

3) I live alone and don't go onto important sites when I have company.

4) On the very rare occasions when I have company AND I'm working on my computer at all, I am careful to not expose any log-in or private activity.

5) I don't go onto important sites on internet shop computers or at wifi hotspots.

The point is: I don't key in p/w's. No one can get one by looking over my shoulder. I don't use "public" computers or wifi.

One possible vulnerability: I do log on to one important site while connected to internet via my internet SIM modem. I don't know if that has any special vulnerability.

SO: Do I really have any reason to change my strong p/w's.

OR: Is that generic advice for people who haven't covered these bases ??

Gaw Guy

I am aware that there are millions of hackers, armies of organized hackers out there working 24/7.

I was thinking about changing some p/w's, but then it seems to me that when one is logged onto a site and in the process of making the change, confirming identity by putting in answers to security questions in order to change p/w's... It seems that at that time you are most vulnerable to having your information picked.

1) I use a p/w program so I never type in p/w's.

2) I have the longest / strongest p/w's sites will allow. (I'm rather disappointed that a few sites don't allow strong enough p/w's - some don't allow enough length, some don't allow a variety of characters. Those are just a few.)

3) I live alone and don't go onto important sites when I have company.

4) On the very rare occasions when I have company AND I'm working on my computer at all, I am careful to not expose any log-in or private activity.

5) I don't go onto important sites on internet shop computers or at wifi hotspots.

The point is: I don't key in p/w's. No one can get one by looking over my shoulder. I don't use "public" computers or wifi.

One possible vulnerability: I do log on to one important site while connected to internet via my internet SIM modem. I don't know if that has any special vulnerability.

SO: Do I really have any reason to change my strong p/w's.

OR: Is that generic advice for people who haven't covered these bases ??

Gaw Guy

I would guess no and then yes. I wonder if changing your user name would be just as effective?

The problem is threefold:

- the user of course. But it seems that this part is well secured on your side

- the interception of your pw while logging on the net on public wifi - Starbucks, airports, e.g..

- the website you need the pw for. Recently hundreds of thousands of pw were stolen from Sony e.g.

Since the web is very insecure in general it definitely helps to change your pw once in a while - and of course to you use not the same pw for all webpages.

Archived