Passwords

Hamokhamok

If it's the bios password he might have to find someone that can reflash the BIOS.

Ok as I said that when I got to see the laptop I'd be in a better position to say what was wrong with it. Its running VISTA and I don't have any disks for it.

I was led to believe that it was a password problem, it now seems that its worse than that. In fact I think its a formatting job.

Anyway this is what happens.

Switch on and it give the option to STARTUP WINDOWS REPAIR.

This I do and eventually get a blue screen with the following

A process thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated

Tech Info: STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x840DCD90, 0x840DCEDC, 0x81280330)

I did a searcch of the internet re the 0x000000F4 and it seems it has all sorts of problems with it.

Suggestions that maybe the memory chips may have come loose so I checked those by removing and re inserting.

Anyway switched off (forced) and tried again, this time tried Last Known Safe Boot Configuration - this didn't work.

I did let it do a number of tests, but no luck so switched off again.

Tried again and this time it came back with a new error i.e. STOP: c0000102 (Corrupt file)

The file or directory

\windows\system32\werfault.exe is corrupt and unreadable.

Please run CHKDSK Utility.

Switched off again and tried to get in the C: prompt but again it froze so couldn't use CHKDSK /r as suggested.

Any suggestions to get a little further??

It sounds like you need to format the hard drive and re-install the OS.

I'm thinking along the same lines thanks.

I'm going to try and see if I can get any personal files off the hard drive first by removing it and seeing if I can set it up as a stand alone HD using USB etc.

I'm thinking along the same lines thanks.

I'm going to try and see if I can get any personal files off the hard drive first by removing it and seeing if I can set it up as a stand alone HD using USB etc.

But before you reformat the HD you also should run a disk health check. It could be that the HD is damaged. You could do this as suggested above by running the HD as standalone disk via USB on a healthy PC.

I'm wondering if anyone can help or send me off in the right direction with this problem.

A relation has a laptop that appears to be locked because either the password used doesn't work or they are using the wrong password.

To my knowledge the password is required from the start i.e. the laptop can't be booted up at all. Will need to verify that.

Anyone here with and password experiences or expertise. Is there a way around this problem and if so what?

Thanks as always for any help given.

Is it a brand new or your own laptop? Not a second hand?

Hi all. Thanks for all your comments etc.

To answer the last question above first:

The laptop is a few years old that ran Vista on a DELL Inspiron 1525.

I got a number of messages when trying to start it at different levels only one of which was a Password request.

I searched the net regarding the various messages and the main answer was to format and reload.

I decided to do just that since I wasn't able to get into it even to copy the files. I tried with taking the hard drive out and connecting it to my own PC as a standalone drive. This I couldn't do because of the configuration of the HD, it didn't have pins so I couldn't do it.

I found out that there was little or nothing of any importance on it so I decided to format.

I had a copy of XP Pro that worked so loaded that on. However, I found then that I hadn't got the wifi on it nor sound.

I searched the Dell site from my own PC and got the necessary drivers for that model and now it works fine.

I had a copy of MS Office Word, Excel etc, so thats loaded on now so as far as I'm concerned its as good as new.

It took most of yesterday to do it but if I do say so myself I'm more than happy with my achievements, something I hadn't done before.

Archived